3phase Panel Wiring Question

With a machine that can not be harmed by running in the wrong direction for testing purposes the phasing is unimportant, hook up all three lines and run it and note the rotation, if backwards switch any 2 lines and it will run in the other direction.
Please note that your machine being a grinder starting it in reversed rotation may unscrew the grinding wheel if installed, for testing run the spindle without wheels or mounting hardware. I have read that connecting the created leg from a rotary converter to sensitive control circuits may sometimes cause problems but have never seen this myself, I have worked on 2 installations where the created output leg was 30-40 volts higher then the input.

Mzyad3, yes, I looked into VFD's, but already had the 3phase converter installed for the lathe, so it seemed cheaper to just add the panel and extra circuits. $250 or thereabouts for the panel, wiring, and circuit breakers. So the add on was cheaper... Also the grinder has three motors, two of which are three phase, the other is a 110v fractional hp coolant pump - so I suspected not a good candidate for VFD setup.

And, Wreck wreck: thanks for the tip on the grinder. I will definitely test it with no wheel installed. Hopefully won't see any circuit problems. The fellow I bought it from demonstrated operation hooked up to an RPC. So I kind of assumed it would be workable. One never knows... But am thinking it will be OK... Thanks!

Back