3D change gear Questions

Friend of mine came through with some 3d gears . I will try to get them on and test run . If so he said we can move on to better material
I actually prefer a couple abs gears in my 10F’s geartrain. The plastic gears take somewhere around 75-80% of the gear “ring” noise. Makes it much more pleasant to be around the lathe when Its running.

Be aware that thumb drives are subject to failure without notice.

I would recommend you go out and buy a stand alone 500gb or 1 tb ssd and use that to backup things you don’t want to loose like pictures, documents, etc.

Failures aren’t as common as they used to be, but they still happen. Nothing worse than having family photos saved in one spot and have a a hardware failure and loose them.

Something else to consider is that older laptops/desktops can be made much much faster by maxing out the ram and then dropping a ssd in it. You can often take a 3-5 year old laptop (which is REALLY old in the it arena), drop in a ssd and gain near new like speeds. Especially if you just use it for internet and email.

I’ve got a couple laptops and an older destop that I dropped max ram and ssd in to and am still using them today.

my oldest is an HP mpc8277c from roughly 2000. Dropped in a quad core (was an option when new), bigger power supply, 1 tb ssd, gtx 660 graphics card and maxed out the ram and its damned near as fast as my brand new gaming laptop. It has its limitations (like under HW specs for newer games), but it does everything I need it to (like 3d modeling and video editing).

Good hunting.

:)
IDK its always been my luck that when I try to do things like that it never seems to work out. Tried that with our last PC and it did not seem to do much of anything and it crashed a few years later and we lost the pictures on that.

What really gets me is we can never seen to get all the pictures in one file. They are scattered all over the PC in different locations under different names.

We can never seem to get all the pictures onto other devices. Its been slow and tedious trying to get pictures to at least CDs. I can at least burn CDs?
The hard part is keeping track of what files I have already put on the discs. As it can be weeks and months before I get back to that project.

bit off subject but what I would like to do is get a lap top for nothing but pictures. Then have some way to automatically back them up every few hundred pictures or so and make a few copies.

Photos on computers is a pita for sure. Now try copying and sorting out a life time of family photos on slides! My parents have over 4000 that I am tasked into moving in the 21st century. Mom gone and Dad of no help. Already had the negative and prints done and the slides are the last. Terabytes of files!
Pierre

Co worker who has a Prusa printed these change gears for me on the weekend. They are the ones that one needs only for some special threads etc.
Pierre

C6A38D34-9413-4E03-90BE-B48951E342EF.jpeg

Back