3D change gear Questions

mac1911

Registered
Registered
I need some change gears for my smithy 1220 XL
Missing a few when I acquired it , some had broken teeth and I had a failure myself. Im not sure what happened. Just idling with the lead screw in N and clank.
Anyway
Can someone tell me what I could expect to pay for a set of gears thats 3D printed, what material would be good
The biggest gear is aprox 3.75” 70 teeth
I went on line to try one of the gear makers but they wanted me to down load a program , my computer is old and I did not have enough space to down load the program
Same with any of the free CAD options.
My computer is just to old and full.
So lots of questions
I will start with what is a rough cost of buying these gears in 3D
And what would it cost me to get into 3D printing to do it myself?

If there is an existing problem with the leadscrew or 2 speed gearbox you should track that down-
I would take apart the gearbox and check it for damage, debris or metal chips.

I have seen 3D prices as low as 12-15$ for individual parts but it depends on the size and complexity of the part
I'm not up on all the materials but I think filled nylon is the strongest
Cheapest printer I have seen is around 300$ but it doesn't measure up to the pricier units

What does Smithy charge for these gears? Do they only sell the whole set?

Last edited:
If you provide the module, thickness, bore and keyway size, etc, it would be easy to model and print change gears from plain old PLA. Pretty much every CAD program has some type of gear generating feature or add-on. PLA gears have been around awhile now and hold up much better that you would expect.

If your provide the above mentioned data, I could produce a .STL file for you within minutes that you could have printed from an online vendor for 20 to 30 bucks.

But, that should be your last resort.

Smithy will sell you replacement gears. I bought a full set from them, for a mid 1980s Smithy AT-300, they were reasonably priced and shipped rather quickly.

I Paid a out 100$ for, I think, like
8 gears. It was about 10 years ago.

If there is an existing problem with the leadscrew or 2 speed gearbox you should track that down-
I would take apart the gearbox and check it for damage, debris or metal chips.

I have seen 3D prices as low as 12-15$ for individual parts but it depends on the size and complexity of the part
I'm not up on all the materials but I think filled nylon is the strongest
Cheapest printer I have seen is around 300$ but it doesn't measure up to the pricier units

What does Smithy charge for these gears? Do they only sell the whole set?
I was looking at everything over the past few weeks. After this incident I put the gears on I had before the threading attempt. All seems well. I even fiddled with the lead screw lever to see if it would jump into gear. It does not.
Im thinking one of the gears might have already been cracked and I missed it when sorting and cleaning

If you provide the module, thickness, bore and keyway size, etc, it would be easy to model and print change gears from plain old PLA. Pretty much every CAD program has some type of gear generating feature or add-on. PLA gears have been around awhile now and hold up much better that you would expect.

If your provide the above mentioned data, I could produce a .STL file for you within minutes that you could have printed from an online vendor for 20 to 30 bucks.

But, that should be your last resort.

Smithy will sell you replacement gears. I bought a full set from them, for a mid 1980s Smithy AT-300, they were reasonably priced and shipped rather quickly.

I Paid a out 100$ for, I think, like
8 gears. It was about 10 years ago.

Attachments

• DC2713B4-8BD5-4EC0-9722-FD5639AAA65A.jpeg
    DC2713B4-8BD5-4EC0-9722-FD5639AAA65A.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 91
How many individual gears do you get in the set? I'm wondering if gears from a mini-lathe would work as a substitute?
They would need to be the correct pitch and pressure angle- you could alter the bores yourself

How many individual gears do you get in the set? I'm wondering if gears from a mini-lathe would work as a substitute?
They would need to be the correct pitch and pressure angle- you could alter the bores yourself
It does not say, I would assume its a complete set that would have came with the machine.
Substitute gears would be great its just a matter of finding the match .

The center hub design is so different than all others I see for sale for other manufactures
B8B6F10F-78CB-41E3-88B2-6027FD58E095.jpeg
7FCBB79C-D110-4077-B809-A0A9005B8760.jpeg

I print gears in ABS, but pla or PETG would also work fine. As important (or more important) is the orientation in which it is printed. In a nutshell, you don't want layer lines parallel to the load path or the load can split teeth off. Print flat and at a high infill and no worries other than possible warping when printing.

I'd recommend searching 3d sites like "thingiverse" for change gear STL files. If you find something that works for tooth count, changing the center bore to match your smithy is a doodle on a site like "tinkercad" or similar....

Last edited:
Back