38special

Guns cost just as much as race cars! "So you want to go fast? How much money do you have?"

I had a 586 and 686 both in 357, I liked the 586 for the looks but the 686 for the outdoor use. I sold them both off and current it is just the 1911 and Ruger MkII.

I have reduced my arms locker residents to just shooters or family guns. I just added my late uncle's Sav 99F in 300 Sav.

I had forgotten about the Coonan! I have not had a recent Guns and Ammo annual in a while to refresh my memory.

S&W has made one known as the Model 52....it was specifically for shooting .38 wadcutters in bulleye matches....

Last edited by a moderator:
Smith & Wesson once made a .38 spl semi-auto. Can't remember the model number, but it had to be fed with full wad-cutters only. A friend who I used to shoot with had one back in the 70's.

Regards

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 40 S&W for simi auto. I also have a ruger securty six in .357 mag. 38spcl is about the same price as 357 these days. it is cheaper to shoot the 40. If he likes 38 then 9mm is close and alot cheaper to shoot.

Guns ARE expensive....a while back a friend was investing in them, saying his money was safer in guns than in the banks! At the time, it made a lot of sense....

the 38 special was designed for target shooters in the semi automatic version. Smith and Wesson 52 current price of 1k to low of $700. Colt 1911 were also made just for that purpose. Coonan arms made them even in 357 magnum but they were not target guns. 38 special in the target configuration is very accurate 1 in group at 25 and about less than 2 at 50. This will give you the edge in Bullseye shooting because of the low recoil. On rapid fire you can easily be on target.
If you have put together a 1911 45 you can easily convert your by buying a 38 special barrel from clark another 10mm slide and a magazine. fit your barrel to the slide and you have a complete upper in 38 special. The only thing about the clark barrel is you have to modify your frame for the ramp cut out. I assume you have a mill so you can do it yourself,if not send it to Clark and he will cut it for you .I don't know his current price. If you can find a 38 special barrel without a ramp you can do it without modifying the frame. Colt National Match guns doesn't have the ramp barrel. You can only shoot wadcutters into this gun. If you want a regular 38 special ammo, you have to find somebody selling a Coonan firearm.

Back