38special

Neil74

Active User
Registered
Has anyone made a semi-automatic in 38special caliber? Would there be legal issues? and why don't they make a semi-automatic in 38special caliber?

A friend of mine just gave me a magazine that featured a .357 mag semi auto. Should be able to build a .38 spl too. It's just the rimmed cartridge that is the trouble, I believe.

Thanks again Tony, I just looked at a .38special round and a .45 caliber round , both have the rim, the 45's has a taper and is the same diameter as the shell caseing, the 38 has the rim at a larger diameter than the caseing. I assume the .357 comes in two different cartridges for a revolver and a semi-automatic, is that right?

Neil74,
Why would you want a 38 semi auto? Why not get a 40 or 45 or something like that. Someone has to make shells for it and most likely not a big market for it, but it would be possible I guess. In all my gun classes I teach I have never been asked that question. They make a 45 revolver and a 45 semi, but the semi is called a acp shell for example.
Paul

Hi Paul, my reasons behind a .38 special semiautomatic are only because I am new to semi-automatics. I have owned a S&W .38 special for 37 years and it is my favorite round to fire, so when looking for a semi-automatic I saw no one made one. I have a Sig Sauer P-220 in .45 caliber, nice fire arm but I prefer the .38 special round.

Neil74,
A 9mm might work out for you, it comes in 18, 20 and 21mm length's, but the 21mm is kind of rare in the states. Keep in mind that a semi has a different kick than a revolver because it uses the gases from firing to eject the shell, so a 38 semi would feel different than a revolver 38. I hope that didn't confuse your mind some. A 9mm is a nice round to shoot, at least for me and it is cheap to shoot also in 9x18. I do have 9,357,45,32, & 22 pistols and some black power ones too and the 22 and 9x18 are my favs.
Paul

I'd also recommend you check out a 9mm. Don't get sucked in by a .380. .38 calibre, sure....but worthless IMO.

9mm is common, relatively cheap and there is a wide variety of makes and models to choose from.

Kind of prefer the .45 ACP, myself.

Tony,
I like my 45 acp also, but is too bulky for a carry gun while the 9x18 is compact. Just my opion, to each his own. I think I made a mistake on the 9mm, I do believe the 9x20mm should be 19, not sure though, since it has not come up for while.
Paul

A friend of mine just recently got his CWP and bought a 45 High Point semi-automatic, price may be right but very heavy and bulky. Today he brought over a 9mm he just bought and we shot a few rounds into an old oak in my yard. Nice gun, little lighter than his 45 but my P-220 Sig is much lighter and easier to carry than either of his high points.

Back