35 vs 72 piece Collet set?

Huh???

I ended up ordering both... 5C and ER40 chucks...

Have not ordered the ER40 collects because I can't remember if it was better to order the metric ones or the SAE... I remember reading a thread on this that suggested one over the other as it would work fine without having to buy both sets...

I don't see why it matters, ER has a fairly large range for work holding compared to 5C so 15/16" or 1" vs 25mm or 26mm moves the break points slightly but won't make much difference. I go with inches on my ER collets because I'm more likely to work in inches.

A metric set by mm will fall in between a set of 16ths or 32nds (being roughly 25ths).

I don't see why it matters, ER has a fairly large range for work holding compared to 5C so 15/16" or 1" vs 25mm or 26mm moves the break points slightly but won't make much difference. I go with inches on my ER collets because I'm more likely to work in inches.

A metric set by mm will fall in between a set of 16ths or 32nds (being roughly 25ths).
Remember... newbie here... easily influenced :D:D:D:D

I've got the full 72 piece set of 5C and you'll never use all of them but it's hard to say which ones you might need so I like having them all. I've also got full set of ER-40 imperial and metric. I find I use the ER-40 more in the lathe but only parts that are fully supported. 5C can hold shorter work. I've got the Bison set tru 5C chuck and use a speed wrench but I can still swap parts quicker in the ER-40. I finally caved in and bought the Rego-fix ball bearing nut for the ER-40 and evidently I don't know the magic handshake as honestly I prefer the nut that came with the chuck. Hell of a lot harder to snap a collet into the Rego-fix. Can't say one has less runout than the other, that seems to be more collet/chuck dependent. I've also got an ER-16 with R8 for the mill and doing gunstock work it's much better. You can reach down into stock with up to 3/8" end mills

Last edited:
Huh???

I ended up ordering both... 5C and ER40 chucks...

Have not ordered the ER40 collects because I can't remember if it was better to order the metric ones or the SAE... I remember reading a thread on this that suggested one over the other as it would work fine without having to buy both sets...
I am referring to various devices such as collet blocks and indexers.

If you go 5C you really do need 64ths and some metric. I found a NOS set of Lyndex 32 set reasonable and have spent a fair amount of time watching for additional collets. I only consider Hardinge, Royal from England, or Lyndex and the process is slow but the quality of those brands is or was very good. My goal is < 25 per new collet but I might give up for the last few and cough up. Dave

What about all the 5 C emergency collets, square, hex, etc.
Are these products available with the ER platform?
I know the question was for David...

But, Hex and Square, yes... I have a set of those.

Another thing I need to google... 5C emergency collects... what the heck is that used for... searching...

EDIT: 5C Emergency Collects

"They are used when you have an odd size, shape or configuration in your work piece and you machine them to suit the work."

Last edited:
ER collets are available to hold nominally sized hex stock from Maritool. I have seen ER collets for holding square stock, but can not suggest a source of supply. If square stock feeding is a common need, then 5C might be a better choice - or use a 4J (scroll) chuck. Emergency 5C collets are mostly employed to hold oddball (non-nominally) sized materials since there are lots of diameters that 5C sets can't hold because of their narrow clamping range. A full set of ER collets will handle any diameter from 1 to 26mm obviating most needs for an emergency ER collet. This is all discussed in the paper I posted earlier.

Last edited:
Back