35 vs 72 piece Collet set?

LVLAaron

Registered
Registered
Need a complete collet set and looking at these:

I know twice as many is twice as good - it's also twice the cost and twice the space in my shop. There's not much info on the site - does anyone know the size tolerance these collets have? Should I get the full set? I'd be really cranky if my first project that needed a collet was an inbetween size and I had to go find one online :)

Even 1/64th steps in 5C doesn't cover the entire range. Have look at the attached (especially pages 7-9). If you want to be able to workhold any random diameter up to 26mm, you might be better off with ER40 instead of 5C (or in addition to).

Attachments

• About R8 ER and 5C Collets.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 289
I would definately get the bigger set... I bought the 35 piece set and regret it...

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, I can't buy just the 64ths collets as a set... to get them, I would have to buy a full 72 piece set (and have duplicates of the 35 that I already have), or buy them individually, which is significantly more expensive.

I'll eventually buy a 72 piece set and try to sell the 35 piece set...

-Bear

Even 1/64th steps in 5C doesn't cover the entire range. Have look at the attached (especially pages 7-9). If you want to be able to workhold any random diameter up to 26mm, you might be better off with ER40 instead of 5C (or in addition to).

Thanks that was helpful. looks like ER40 is a little less expensive as well.

I'd stick with the 5 C set, as there are likely more fixtures that use them.

Huh???

I ended up ordering both... 5C and ER40 chucks...

Have not ordered the ER40 collects because I can't remember if it was better to order the metric ones or the SAE... I remember reading a thread on this that suggested one over the other as it would work fine without having to buy both sets...

You're very welcome.

Back