32x40 H -- Gas Engine

The replacement material arrived yesterday, so today I have been up to my ankles in chips.
Ain't life just great, when you are having fun.
Brian.

Looks interesting Brian.

I'll ogle your website too when time permits.
I think it's just wonderful that you share some of your knowledge the way are doing.

:thanks:

Hi Rapscallion.
Thanks for your comments.
Feel free to download any of the PDFs on my site, if you need clarification on anything, Just ask, either on this forum or on my site.
Brian.

Latest pic, The barrel is coming along nicely next job is to machine the recess for the liner flange.

P1012707.JPG

Plodding on Brian.

P1012707.JPG

The liner recess put in.

P1012709.JPG

Then the water jacket space bored out, and a little more milling on the rocker support.

P1012711.JPG

That's all for today Folks

Brian.

P1012709.JPG P1012711.JPG

The OD of the liner was then machined to size.
P1012713.JPG

And fitted in the barrel,
P1012715.JPG

The front plate was bored and marked out using the odd jaw calipers then punched and the marks enlarged. prior to drilling and tapping.

P1012719.JPG

The assembled front plate.

P1012721.JPG

I have to make a space for a "o" ring between the barrel and the front plate to seal the liner. I am undecided whether to machine a square recess or just put a 45° edge on the barrel as some motor cycles have on the case to barrel joint. suggestions anyone??

Brian

P1012713.JPG P1012715.JPG P1012719.JPG P1012721.JPG

Nice work Brian.
re the o ring, are you referring to sealing a wet liner. I think with the low pressure in your cooling system a positive pressure on the o ring via a 45* chamfer would help seal it better.

Cheers Phil

HI Phil
Yes The "o" ring is the seal between the Barrel and both the liner and the plate it stops water escaping from the cooling system and oil from the crank case. the top of the liner is sealed by a paper gasket under the top flange. I will order the ring And fit it by trial and hopefully no error. the 45° chamfer as you say has a positive inward pressure.
Thanks. Brian.

Transfer drilled the head and barrel, now I have the threads in the barrel I can locate the liner without the head and finish bore it on the mill. Just waiting for the "o" ring that will fix the liner in place.

P1012725.JPG

Brian.

P1012725.JPG

The next operation was to cut the bevel at the base of the cylinder to take a temporary "o" ring. so I can assemble the cylinder assembly .

P1012726.JPG

The assembly was then mounted on the mill for boring to its final size.
I was only able to take small cuts due to the tool flexing, necessitating many cuts at the same setting to work out the taper. Boy am I glad I converted the Z to power feed.

P1012727.JPG

P1012730.JPG

Having now got the liner to size,the piston blank O.D. was turned then lapped to fit the liner.
Must remember to order the rings.

P1012729.JPG

P1012731.JPG

Now I have to get the tooling together to machine the head, the Valve guide --seat--port--assembly port,and its thread, all have to be machined at one setting, so once started it's no going back.

For now I will continue with the parts of the crank case.

Brian.

P1012726.JPG P1012727.JPG P1012730.JPG P1012729.JPG P1012731.JPG

Back