3 tries and 3 fails to make a 1/4 20 thread - part 2

Your original threads looked horrible. Your compound angle is WAY off.

Here's the scoop on using the thread dial (both .jpg and .pdf versions):

Using the Thread Dial.jpg

Attachments

• Using the Thread Dial.pdf
    76.2 KB · Views: 3
I see you have two "zeros" on your compound. I don't think the one on the side is from SB, but was added by a former owner. I can see how you got confused by the angles.

A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches never knows what time it is.

Your original threads looked horrible. Your compound angle is WAY off.

Here's the scoop on using the thread dial (both .jpg and .pdf versions):

View attachment 357868
A little confused on this chart
On my lathe Even numbered threads Have to be divided by 4 then you can use all 8 lines
Otherwise you have to use 123and 4 marks
Maybe my chart is wrong
Can anyone verify this chart works I have an 8tpi leadscrew
Thanks

My South bend with 8TPI screw is exactly the same. Maybe yours cannot do 1/2 or 3/4 threads so they do not mention them.

My South bend with 8TPI screw is exactly the same. Maybe yours cannot do 1/2 or 3/4 threads so they do not mention them.
They do show settings for fractional threads the chart is mounted on the dial housing
I have threaded fractional a few times they turned out okay
Maybe I will try to cut an even number of threads using any of the 8 lines and see what happens(tomorrow)
Will let you know how it goes

A little confused on this chart
On my lathe Even numbered threads Have to be divided by 4 then you can use all 8 lines
Otherwise you have to use 123and 4 marks
Maybe my chart is wrong
Can anyone verify this chart works I have an 8tpi leadscrew
Thanks

The chart I posted is right out of the How to Run A Lathe booklet from South Bend, so it will work for all SB lathes out there. I'm not positive that it will work for other lathes from other manufacturers.

I reworded some of the text to make it clearer (for me) to understand.

I printed out the .pdf version, took it down to Office Depot and had it laminated, then posted it above my lathe.

Back