3 phase converter help

Since it has been mentioned, I'm not completely positive on the use of rotary converters and transformer type welders. I do know of an individual that ran a nice MIG on one, and I always worried about it, but he seemed to have no problem with it. I'd definitely consult a competent welding supply before I did it. And for an inverter style, Id think it inadvisable. But again, consult an expert, especially is the machine was new and under warranty.

Since my mill purchase last week, been doing much reading and then gettin deeper in confusion. So
It sounds like I like FVD- rotory- and I suppose static. Yesterday out of the clear blue my old freind
(electrician) pops in with a heat/def. problem in the van. What a stroke of luck. Ill fix the van he will
fix the milling machine. On the van I gotta take out radio, heat control panel cause the heater is
hot but some door is not opening thats vacuum problem. By the time I got the radio out, he's got the
mill working something like 15min. What I read about vfds is it has to be direct to the motors so there
goes my drum switch. He put a new (out of the van) heavy duty phase o matic. I read like all bad
things with them. All I can say is, it starts right up, all motors work, quiet, I milled some T nuts, I cant
feel anything as said of that 2/3 hp thing. I bought this really cause of power feeds and it has a
rapid return with auto stops on both X&Y. Nice

Since my mill purchase last week, been doing much reading and then gettin deeper in confusion. So
It sounds like I like FVD- rotory- and I suppose static. Yesterday out of the clear blue my old freind
(electrician) pops in with a heat/def. problem in the van. What a stroke of luck. Ill fix the van he will
fix the milling machine. On the van I gotta take out radio, heat control panel cause the heater is
hot but some door is not opening thats vacuum problem. By the time I got the radio out, he's got the
mill working something like 15min. What I read about vfds is it has to be direct to the motors so there
goes my drum switch. He put a new (out of the van) heavy duty phase o matic. I read like all bad
things with them. All I can say is, it starts right up, all motors work, quiet, I milled some T nuts, I cant
feel anything as said of that 2/3 hp thing. I bought this really cause of power feeds and it has a
rapid return with auto stops on both X&Y. Nice

So with a VFD I cant use the forward and reverse switch?

You can, it just needs to be rewired for low-voltage so it can connect to the VFD. Lots of talk about that, GK1918 is mistaken.

What do you mean low voltage? I had to rewire the motor for 220V 3 phase. It was running on 440 when I bought it.

That F&R switch is awful handy, Id hate to loose it.

What do you mean low voltage? I had to rewire the motor for 220V 3 phase. It was running on 440 when I bought it.

The VFD connects DIRECTLY to the motor, NO switches are allowed switches in between.

Then, you control the machine from the keypad on the VFD or with remote switches (you can rewire your drum switch to be a remote switch). We discussed this a lot HERE: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/10543-TECO-VFD-help-please

Another good thread: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/3210-Wiring-reverse-off-forward-switch-to-vfd

And another: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/3504-Cutler-Hammer-9441H132A-Reversing-Switch

Another: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/8009-A-VFD-write-up-for-a-Webb-Mill

The VFD connects DIRECTLY to the motor, NO switches are allowed switches in between.

Then, you control the machine from the keypad on the VFD or with remote switches (you can rewire your drum switch to be a remote switch). We discussed this a lot HERE: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/10543-TECO-VFD-help-please

That helped but also made me wonder if I should go with a VFD. Im worried about how it will hold up. We have a lot of temperature changes here and get lots of condensation. May be killer for those electronics. I keep the lathe sprayed with WD40 to keep away rust.

I too was intimidated by the phase converter dilemma. I tried the static converter only on my mill and couldn't cut hot butter with it. I hit the salvage yard and found a good Baldor 5hp 3ph motor for $45. Wired it to the static to start and wired the 2 three phase motors together. My mill has never run better. The 5 hp acts as an idler motor (no load) and balances the three legs for the mill motor. If you already have a static converter, find a used 3 phase motor for the idler. The beauty of the rotary system is you only need one for any number of machines as long as the hp rating is higher than the highest machine you have. You'll need a VFD for each machine.

I too was intimidated by the phase converter dilemma. I tried the static converter only on my mill and couldn't cut hot butter with it. I hit the salvage yard and found a good Baldor 5hp 3ph motor for $45. Wired it to the static to start and wired the 2 three phase motors together. My mill has never run better. The 5 hp acts as an idler motor (no load) and balances the three legs for the mill motor. If you already have a static converter, find a used 3 phase motor for the idler. The beauty of the rotary system is you only need one for any number of machines as long as the hp rating is higher than the highest machine you have. You'll need a VFD for each machine.

I may never end up with another 3phase machine so I was thinking I could probably get around $50 for my converter so Id have about $50 in VFD. But Im worried about it holding up with these moisture problems being my lathe isnt in a heated shop. Looking at it that way I may be better going the electric motor route like you did. Maybe next time Im at the scrap yard ill ask if they will sell motors they have.

Back