3 phase converter help

Michaeljp86

Active User
Registered
For my lathe I bought a static converter to run it on 220V single phase. Ive read that with a static converter you only get about 2/3 of the hp that the motor would make on 3 phase because it only adds the 3rd leg to get the motor spinning after that the motor is only on 2 legs.

I did some work at a machine shop that only had single phase power and he would start up a 3 phase machine to make 3 phase power. So to use lets say a lathe he would fire up a mill off the static converter and the motor would act as a generator on the 3rd leg. So on his lathe he would have power on all 3 legs all the time.

Ive been reading and watching youtube videos and this looks like how a rotary converter works, just a static converter starting a motor. So I was wondering, couldn't I find a 3phase motor and start it off the static converter and then have 3 power legs to the lathe?

The reason I ask is my lathe seem to weak, I cant run it at higher speeds.

A 3 phase motor dont need 3 phase to start, just spin it up with a small 1 phase motor & go for it.
You can add capacitors and balance the lines.
There is a thread here on rotary phase converters there use and design, then Google diy rotary phase converter and you will be reading for a few days.:))

A 3 phase motor dont need 3 phase to start, just spin it up with a small 1 phase motor & go for it.
You can add capacitors and balance the lines.
There is a thread here on rotary phase converters there use and design, then Google diy rotary phase converter and you will be reading for a few days.:))

From what I was reading on DIY rotary phase converters it sounds like what I described above if I understand correctly. One video I watched the guy would just spin a 3phase motor to start it and then used it as a generator for the 3rd leg. My lathe just doesnt have enough power off the static converter.

Get a VFD Michael, you will never regret it. There are plenty of threads here to help...

isnt that just a speed control? you still wouldnt have power to all 3 legs of the motor

No sir, not at all. A VFD takes 220v single phase (some can take 120v) in, and converts to 3 phase output. It can do variable speed as well by varying the frequency.

No sir, not at all. A VFD takes 220v single phase (some can take 120v) in, and converts to 3 phase output. It can do variable speed as well by varying the frequency.

I wired one up on a conveyor at a farm once, it had a digital display and was very expensive. Something wouldn't work right and some guy from the factory had to come out and hook his laptop up to it and do some adjusting.

Quick dirty way is get a 3 phase motor larger than the largest hp motor you want to run and wire up to 220 1 phase get her spinning and put the power to the 3 phase motor use the 3 legs off the 3 phase motor to run your equipment.
If you have to much grumbling from the idler motor use caps to balance the three legs and it wont grumble.:thinking:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wired one up on a conveyor at a farm once, it had a digital display and was very expensive. Something wouldn't work right and some guy from the factory had to come out and hook his laptop up to it and do some adjusting.

Please search some Michael.

What horsepower is your lathe so I can help you find one.

Back