$3.oo part in 3 hours

I scratch built my tilt bed boat trailer with an 8500 lb winch so it launches and retrieves virtually hands off. A dozen people have asked me if I would build them one so I sat down one day and figured time and materials. At a time when you could buy a new trailer for four grand, I figured I would have to charge ten to even make a modest wage for my hours. Besides, I really enjoy fabricating something once. The second time it's more like a job. (shudder)
RETRIEVE 3.JPGRETRIEVE 5.JPG
RETRIEVE 15.JPGRETRIEVE 17.JPG

Last edited:
LMAO! :congratulate: You also got a good hearty laugh from Honey.
I picked up one of these at Lowe's a few years ago. The bottom piece was dinged in the corner and I scored it for $25.
Had to purchase the 'wall' kit. Still don't have a door for it.
Structural and plumbing issues with this old house have (ahem) delayed installation.
It's going to require some major work to redo the two bathrooms. (they're side by side)
We also have an old cast iron clawfoot that we scored from a demo (6) years ago that Honey would like to have installed.
I just have to get my act together sometime.
View attachment 370265
That would make a great spray booth.

I scratch built my tilt bed boat trailer with an 8500 lb winch so it launches and retrieves virtually hands off. A dozen people have asked me if I would build them one so I sat down one day and figured time and materials. At a time when you could buy a new trailer for four grand, I figured I would have to charge ten to even make a modest wage for my hours. Besides, I really enjoy fabricating something once. The second time it's more like a job. (shudder)
View attachment 370272View attachment 370273
View attachment 370274View attachment 370275
That is an ingenious idea, especially for a boat that size. That would sure take the stress out of loading/unloading.

$3 for 3 hours, dang. How did you work it to get paid so well? :oops:

That is an ingenious idea, especially for a boat that size. That would sure take the stress out of loading/unloading.
Being a retired building contractor, I got the idea for the trailer design from the tilt bed trucks picking up 30 yard dumpsters on my jobsites. My theory is; Build trailers when you're young, Push buttons when you're old! I built that trailer in 2004. I use at least twice a week all season long and it and it still works great.

A good friend had a broken nylon part on his shower door which (of course) is no longer made. After parting off a slice of 3 inch aluminum bar stock I had a shiny new $3.00 part a mere 3 hours later
Had to make a washer one day, wife asked what is that? I replied "a ten thousand dollar washer, look at the money I am saving buying all this stuff". ;)

Back