$3.oo part in 3 hours

A good friend had a broken nylon part on his shower door which (of course) is no longer made. After parting off a slice of 3 inch aluminum bar stock I had a shiny new $3.00 part a mere 3 hours later
Was it three hours to make a part, or three hours to learn to make a part.

Education is expensive, in both time and money.

I suppose you always learn something building a part but I spent considerable time thinking about holding and order of operations before starting the job. I didn't include that in the 3 hours because I was doing other things at the same time.

Only (3) hours? Would have taken me an entire shift... :grin:

It's not a $3 part if it is no longer available for sale. I've made many discontinued parts for friends/customers over the years ie: Austin Healey carb linkages that would cost $100's at a pro machine shop

It's not a $3 part if it is no longer available for sale. I've made many discontinued parts for friends/customers over the years ie: Austin Healey carb linkages that would cost $100's at a pro machine shop

Great post and I absolutely agree!

What's the cost of a new tub surround and installation?
$2000?

I just gotta learn to apply the same thinking to my own projects!
-brino

Great post and I absolutely agree!

What's the cost of a new tub surround and installation?
$2000?

I just gotta learn to apply the same thinking to my own projects!
-brino
Are you saying that you'll do the tub surround installation that I promised Honey several years ago, for $2K? Is that CDN or USD?
What about travel expenses?
:grin:

Are you saying that you'll do the tub surround installation that I promised Honey several years ago, for $2K? Is that CDN or USD?
What about travel expenses?

Okay, so big tub, marble, radiant heat, 12 jets?
Alright, Maryville, where's that?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Alm...914a2ecd5161e0!2m2!1d-83.9704593!2d35.7564719

So, a 15 hour drive with tolls...... Or a $935/seat flight.... need another seat for my tools.....is that USD$ or CAD$?

Let's say USD $20,000, because we're friends.

I could fit you in about October.
What day is good for you?

-brino

Okay, so big tub, marble, radiant heat, 12 jets?
Alright, Maryville, where's that?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Alm...914a2ecd5161e0!2m2!1d-83.9704593!2d35.7564719

So, a 15 hour drive with tolls...... Or a $935/seat flight.... need another seat for my tools.....is that USD$ or CAD$?

Let's say USD $20,000, because we're friends.

I could fit you in about October.
What day is good for you?

-brino
LMAO! :congratulate: You also got a good hearty laugh from Honey.
I picked up one of these at Lowe's a few years ago. The bottom piece was dinged in the corner and I scored it for $25.
Had to purchase the 'wall' kit. Still don't have a door for it.
Structural and plumbing issues with this old house have (ahem) delayed installation.
It's going to require some major work to redo the two bathrooms. (they're side by side)
We also have an old cast iron clawfoot that we scored from a demo (6) years ago that Honey would like to have installed.
I just have to get my act together sometime.
1624726178589.png

Back