240 volt fan with only 2 wires??

I would definitely connect the frame to ground. This is for safety, not function. You don't want the frame at 120 VAC if the motor develops an internal short.

You don't need neutral for the fan to work, you just need a potential difference between the two wires. In the US, you have a split phase that gives you 120V to neutral from each of the wires but this is more of an exception than the rule. In most countries with 220-240V, you have one of the wires at (or near) ground and the other at 220-240V. The end result is the same, though: the fan sees 240V at its terminals. As others have said, it is a good idea to connect the frame to ground (NOT neutral.)

WOW, super quick response. Seems counter-intuitive though, like the juice need some path back to the source.

I'm gonna give it a shot!
There is a path back, that's why we call it alternating current. :D

The ground in all cases would be connected from the case to ground, unless as has been stated, the case is plastic.

Unfortunately the auto industry used the chassis as one of the power legs, and compounded it by calling it "ground".

I think the common rule in D.C. is positive and negative. The flow path for electrons is from negative to positive although some circuits are designed with the positive being what many refer to as the ground/frame/negative. The positive lead requires insulation and separation from the negative lead, and I'm talking strictly automotive here because high voltage D.C. is another topic for discussion.

The case is metal and I will ground it for safety. I had a bad experience once and won't be repeating it.

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't get around to it today but as soon as I do I'll let you know how it went.

Been answered already but yeah, the ground is just for saftey. A fan like this usually only has 2 wires cause they are usually used in some type of enclosure or machine, etc. that already has other components & a power source/panel. So naturally it would be grounded when installed with the rest of the enclosure (if it's metal). Fans like these are not meant to be used as a stand alone & plug directly into an outlet, hence the pigtail. Not that it can't be done though.

Also note that thing loves flesh...

It will demand respect so give it to it...shield will be required

If it kitchen a finger it can break a blade and vibrate like crazy as it tosses your blood everywhere

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back