240 volt fan with only 2 wires??

E

ecdez

Forum Guest
Register Today
I picked up a fan yesterday because it was $1 and I needed a small fan because it's hot :). Fan specs below. The sticker on the fan and the specs below both say its 230v-240v but there's only 2 wires coming from the fan. They even reference a cord in the drawings and it only has two wires. How's this work? Is the frame the ground?

Data sheet is here -> http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0f11/0900766b80f118ba.pdf

fan.jpg

R7125654-01.jpg

This is quite common. It is simply two wire 240 volt fan. Similar to my 240 volt pool pump, however it did have a ground connection.

You simply connect it up to two wire 240 source. The frame is not involved.
David

WOW, super quick response. Seems counter-intuitive though, like the juice need some path back to the source.

I'm gonna give it a shot!

US 240V does not reference neutral or ground. You only need the two legs for power. Depending on the installation, you won't hurt anything by running a ground to the fan frame. But that is purely a safety thing, and totally useless if the fan is plastic. :)

Seems counter-intuitive though, like the juice need some path back to the source.

Your thinking D/C. Being a mechanic I usually have a had time thinking A/C also.

WOW, super quick response. Seems counter-intuitive though, like the juice need some path back to the source.

I'm gonna give it a shot!
Note that the drawing on the data sheet shows a connection point on the frame for a separate ground wire.

Tom

That is a metal frame, it's a good idea to ground it.
Mark S.

Your thinking D/C. Being a mechanic I usually have a had time thinking A/C also.

Unfortunately automotive electrics have led to many misunderstands about basic electrical operation. Common is the idea that ground is a power leg (must have power and ground to work) and ground is an absolute; 0V. Electricity must have two paths, in and out, and the current is the relative difference between the two. Unfortunately the auto industry used the chassis as one of the power legs, and compounded it by calling it "ground".

Note that the drawing on the data sheet shows a connection point on the frame for a separate ground wire.

Tom

I completely missed that but it sure does!

Unfortunately automotive electrics have led to many misunderstands about basic electrical operation. Common is the idea that ground is a power leg (must have power and ground to work) and ground is an absolute; 0V. Electricity must have two paths, in and out, and the current is the relative difference between the two. Unfortunately the auto industry used the chassis as one of the power legs, and compounded it by calling it "ground".

I have done a lot of automotive wiring and sometimes it is hard to switch the brain back and forth.

I have done a lot of automotive wiring and sometimes it is hard to switch the brain back and forth.

Ah, but that is my point. You shouldn't have to switch gears. Electricity is relative, not absolute. Just because one of the "wires" is the frame doesn't change that.

Back