220V 3-Prong 4-Prong Receptacles

@keeena

The circuit breaker is 40A.

I plan to use a 50A male receptacle, specifically a NEMA 6-50P, for my Dynasty 210DX. I am pretty sure that is the same male receptacle that is on my other 2 Miller 220V welding machines.

image.jpg

Last edited:
The plug in gunsmither's post is in-fact a 240v, 20a plug (NEMA 6-20P). It can be easily confused with a 5-20p (120v 20a). Only difference is that the horizontal and vertical blades are swapped as compared to the NEMA 6-20p.

The double-horizontal blades do exist as well: 240v-15a (approx same physical size as the 20a plugs) and 30a (larger and wouldn't be confused with the standard sized plugs most folks in the US are used to)
It is indeed a 20amp 240 volt plug and receptacle. It just dawned on me why I used a 20 amp setup. I had 20 amp / 240 V outlets already installed
in several other locations in my shop / garage for a small compressor I used to own, and for a heat treating oven. I figured if I ever wanted to tig
something in some other location, I would be able to wheel it around to wherever I might want.

The circuit breaker is 40A.

I plan to use a 50A male receptacle, specifically a NEMA 6-50P, for my Dynasty 210DX. I am pretty sure that is the same male receptacle that is on my other 2 Miller 220V welding machines.

Gotcha. Yes: your other Miller machine should be a 6-50P (that's what my 220v single phase Millermatic 252 has on it )

I personally wouldn't use receptacles which are higher amp rating than the circuit. Its mostly safe in the sense that the CB should trip if you exceed 40a...just not something I would do. At least make sure the wire itself can handle what you're doing; you don't want that to be the weak link.

Anyway - you know how you're using your equipment so I'll just echo Pontiac428's disclaimer. :grin:

Back