220V 3-Prong 4-Prong Receptacles

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a 220V Miller Dynasty 210DX that is currently wired up with a 4-prong plug (first photo) & receptacle. My Dad helped me wire it up on a 45A circuit; he has wired up a lot of electric clothes dryers, but he had not wired up a welder up until that day.

My 2 other 220V Miller machines (Millermatic 252, Thunderbolt 210) came with a 3 prong plug (second photo) that is very common.

I would very much like to change the (4-prong, male) plug on my Dynasty to the same (3-prong, much more common) plug as my other 2 machines. I want to do this because now I am going to need an extension cord, and I want to have a single extension cord that I can use for all of my machines.

542594F4-5EDA-4E1B-B2F7-B1FF42C88AD7.png

42BC554F-E09B-438C-96E2-E431715D1E7E.jpeg

I really don’t understand how it works, but I think that the Dynasty has a Line 1, Line 2, Ground & Neutral. I believe that the Dynasty can be run on 3 phase (which I have no interest in doing).

The Dynasty may have an autodetect functionality, but I don’t know if it’s autodetecting between 110V & 220 V, or between single & three phase.

Hopefully, I can remove the 4-prong from the Dynasty, & use the same 3-prong used on the other 2 machines.

I Googled this a little bit, and I found the following picture. Also, I am including a screenshot of a relevant comment.

733F536E-4837-4250-8B8C-4D370DD9A643.png
295A8FF0-7A9B-4CAC-94E1-8B803EB144AA.png

The question is, does the machine use the neutral? If not, you can switch to 3 prong. Just one person's experience, but most 220V stuff I have doesn't use neutral. Sometimes the cord doesn't even have the wire for it, it just comes with the 4-prong plug as it's more common on new construction. But sometimes the designers get "clever" and use it for 120V in the machine for some reason.

Looking at the photos for that machine you found, it looks like you don't need neutral and can just swap over. Ignore red, wire per the photo. Which wire goes to L1/L2 doesn't matter, ground is the other one.

I never understood why the Dynasty came with no plug. I imagine it is because some people would want to hardwire it, some people would want to run three phase, and somebody like myself would like to have a corded single phase plug.

Accustomed to hooking up dryers, my Dad probably wanted 4 prongs for 4 wires.

Hopefully, somebody here can point me in the direction of how to make the cord match the cords on my other two 220V machines.

The existing circuit is 220V, with a 45A circuit breaker.

I have a rotary phase converter with 20A & 30A receptacles. I am pretty sure those circuit breakers are too small to use with my 210A inverter welder (Dynasty 210DX).

I do have room on the RPC to add a larger receptacle, but it is only a 10 HP RPC, & I don’t know what benefit I would gain by running this welder on three phase.

The question is, does the machine use the neutral? If not, you can switch to 3 prong. Just one person's experience, but most 220V stuff I have doesn't use neutral. Sometimes the cord doesn't even have the wire for it, it just comes with the 4-prong plug as it's more common on new construction. But sometimes the designers get "clever" and use it for 120V in the machine for some reason.

Looking at the photos for that machine you found, it looks like you don't need neutral and can just swap over. Ignore red, wire per the photo. Which wire goes to L1/L2 doesn't matter, ground is the other one.
Is the reason that L1 and L2 don’t matter is because it is AC?

With my 3 phase, 220V lathe, L1 & L2 dictated which direction the chuck rotated with the operating lever in the up position. I hooked it up backwards the first time. I’m sure some people like to start their lathe by pushing the lever down for forward rotation.

I wanted to start my lathe by putting the lever in the up position. Switching L1 & L2 made this happen.

I have some DC ebike motors with three 10 gauge motor wires (aka phase wires) that go from the motor to the controller. One of the ways that you can connect these will result in the motor running backwards. The easy way to fix this is by switching these 2 wires, and then the motor runs forward.

Is there any risk at all that I could fry the circuit board on the Dynasty if I hooked up the wires wrong?

Single phase 220 is actually just two 120V phases 180 degrees out of sync. Between the two hot wires, you get 220V. Either one to ground will get you 120V. Newer equipment gets angry if you do that, and wants a dedicated neutral for 120V. And it did create a shock hazard as "ground" could actually have some stray voltage on it. But in your panel, neutral and ground are connected. Just don't treat them as the same thing, or you create the possible safety hazard they added the separate line to fix. That was a bit long-winded to say what amounted to "because it's AC" I guess, but you seem the type that likes to get info. :)

220V like this doesn't need a neutral and current flows basically between the two phase wires. It doesn't "need" ground either, but ground is included for safety. You connect the metal case of the equipment to ground, and any stray voltage flows there instead of into the unwary person touching it.

It's a bit oversimplified, but you don't need all that just to connect a welder safely. :)

3 phase is each phase 120 degrees off from the next. It works similarly between phases, but they way the motors work is that alternating poles are on different phases, so the magnetic field is almost rotating itself around the motor. Switching two wires changes the relationship, making the motor spin the other way. Again, simplified, and I'm not positive I totally understand it. Tesla, I am not. :) "Brushless DC" motors are just 3 phase motors. The marketing folks got involved. The 3 phase wires are usually just L1/L2/L3, and your lathe likely just swapped two of them around when you did that. Same thing, just more complex switching setups.

There is some risk to the welder, but it's quite low. In theory, running hot to the ground side could cause a problem. But if you follow the directions using the color codes, you'll be fine. And better manufacturers would design fail-safe setups to prevent it. I can't imagine Miller didn't. If it's rated for 220V/45A single phase, I wouldn't bother with setting it up for 3 phase input. That's a pretty commonly available setup. I would guess they included 3 phase input as an option for industrial users for convenience. I suspect inverter welders work like VFDs, converting it into a strong DC source, then using switching transistors to create the output.

It's pretty common for multi-input devices like that to not include plugs. There is little standardization for plugs in this range, so they often just have the user source whatever they need for their shop. I might worry that an import machine would have incorrect colors, but Miller wouldn't do that. If for no other reason than the liability it would create would be shut down by the legal department. The lawyers cost a lot more than the right wire.

Do you have the manual for the welder? That probably has wiring options.

If not, one approach is to look at the welder end of the cord. If it terminates in a jumper block that is labeled L1/L2/L3 and GND then you can probably assume that it is indeed single or three phase and that 4th wire is not really doing anything in your configuation. If if is labeled as L1/L2/N and GND then you need the 4th wire as is.

The manual explains the connections, it can either be run off of single phase or three phase. The 240VAC connection does not use the neutral. The plug is modular so you can remove the neutral prong which is the L shaped one and use as a 3 prong connector. The blades are for L1 and L2, the U shape is ground. The connections for the Miller cord (see below), L1 is BLACK, L2 is WHITE, L3 is RED which is not used in single phase operation. A bit confusing because typically white is used for neutral, which would be used for 120VAC operation when applicable. There is also a YouTube showing how to make the connections. If the plug was wired with 4 prongs and neutral was used for your welder, it would appear to be incorrect for 240VAC single phase operation.

Unfortunately it seems like this forum no longer supports higher resolution documents.
Miller Dynasty Single Phase Input Connection.jpg

Attachments

• Miller Dynasty Single Phase Input Connection.pdf
    227.9 KB · Views: 4
Thanks to everybody for the very helpful information. My excuse for not digging out the manual is because I am on the road.

It looks like this affordable male receptacle is acceptable:

Picture:

1DFC322F-2316-4203-A20D-1B91E094B69D.png

Back