2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, nice dividing head you ran across. I have a Cinnc version, with gear drive for my #3 mill. One day I will need to hunt down the gearing and train for it too.

Meanwhile, this doesn't count as an "I bought it", if you know what I mean, but I hauled it home. Has a few bent spots on a couple of the shelves, but nothing that can't be straightened and with a little dark gray paint, it will get a lot of material off the floor.

photo5.JPG

These Crawford Collets showed up on my doorstep early this morning. I ordered them Tuesday afternoon last week from Rotagrip in the UK and they were here at 8:30 a.m. on Monday.

Thanks to a friend who gave me the tip, I now have a nice set of Crawford collets. They are "new old stock" and you can tell that the boxes are bit weathered. The collets are in tip top shape and still covered in whatever protective accumpucky they put on them at the factory. By the way, they are no longer made like many of the good tools of the not so distant past.

collets.jpg

Slowly collecting some things. Did not have many useful items before deciding I wanted to do more machining.
(A couple micrometers, scales, and protractor was about it other than the common drill bits, etc).

Now I have quite a few taps but no matching dies.

s-l1600.jpg

Ordered a Widia -GTD 4-40 spiral fluted tap to replace the two I broke. Lol

Last edited:
Slowly collecting some things. Did not have many useful items before deciding I wanted to do more machining.
(A couple micrometers, scales, and protractor was about it other than the common drill bits, etc).
Now I have quite a few taps but no matching dies.
I have a goodly number of taps and until recently very few dies. Haven't really missed them. I'd suggest finding a source of good quality dies and ordering/buying what you need as you need it.

PS (just for fun) - I've discovered that screw extractors like the ones you have in the lower left of your photo can be used to make tapered holes. Just turn them "forward," so they'll cut instead of digging in. They're hardened and sharp enough to cut. Drill a pilot hole the size of the narrow end of the extractor. Then be sure to use lots of cutting oil, and back out frequently to remove the chips. Those shallow flutes load up quickly!

I received my 2 morse to Er32 collet , for my atlas horizontal mill and lathe if needed. Next I need the R8 model. Then ill start getting some collets , with the first set in inch sizes . Add metric or others as needed. I have big chunk of 2" x 16" 4140 bar stock to make another arbor for it. I won't be able to Ck the adapter for run out but the machining on it is flawless China made of course $16.99 free ship. Still need a dividing head have a line on used for a $100. If he can bring or I get someone to go get it.

IMG_0799.JPG

This showed up on CL this morning, so I made an offer, and he took it. I got there, and carried it to the car, with my back screaming every step of the way. We chatted a while, and he said he had another one that was smaller and lighter (4" instead of 6"). Since I was only buying it to stock the shop with tools until I finally retire from cabinetmaking, I swapped in a heartbeat. And he carried it the big one back to the shop!

Besides, I think it scales better on my Rockwell.

7dcde4ba4e3615ef432074d92435caae.jpg

And this came from eBay today.
They were steam engine castings. However no web site. No simple plans or finished photos. Guess it's going to be a bit more challenging than expected

7dcde4ba4e3615ef432074d92435caae.jpg

And this came from eBay today.
They were steam engine castings. However no web site. No simple plans or finished photos. Guess it's going to be a bit more challenging than expected

I hate those red X's.
Look like some good castings.
Challenges are good.
Makes you learn different ways to do things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back