2017 - The Original "What Did You Buy Today?" Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally broke down and got a Haimer for my mill. 90 percent of the time I use a Royal QC Easy Change system for tooling changes. My only hesitation getting the Haimer before was that the version I wanted came either in 10mm or 12mm shaft sizes, and I didn't have access to any Royal QC (EasyChange) end mill holders in metric sizes - all that's sold in the US is imperial. Mark Jacobs turned me on to a Royal dealer in the UK that will export to the US, and the prices are very reasonable compared to what you'd pay for them in the US even if they were available.
Rotagriponline.com is the UK distributor. http://rotagriponline.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=173&Itemid=29
It took about 3 weeks to get, but well worth the wait.

So here's the Royal 12mm QC end mill holder with the new Haimer:

IMG_7846.jpg

In the mill using the Royal R8 Easy Change master chuck:

IMG_7848.jpg

And I decided that while I was at it, I'd get the Royal QC ER32 collet chuck so that if I ever run into metric tooling I need to mount, I have a method to do that.

IMG_7849.jpg

Now my Royal QC tool collection is finally filling out:

IMG_7850.jpg

If anyone needs Royal products at good prices, give Rotagrip a look.

That is an enviable selection! Makes me wish I hand the need.

I got this little Lufkin square/depth gauge from Tubalcains ebay sale. It was fairly tarnished but I cleaned it up some. I am just tickled to death with it. It fits in the hand very nice. Anyone know of a good way to clean it up better?
upload_2017-6-3_9-2-40.png

Landed a 1" diameter boring bar on ebay thanks to friend who gave me a heads-up.

Received it last week and I am quite pleased with its appearance. Here is is next to a 1/2" bar for comparison. It is new old stock and only suffered a bit of storage rash on the box.

IMG_20170604_134437.jpg

IMG_20170604_134103.jpg

IMG_20170604_134133.jpg

Not today, but a week ago today. Who in their right mind would have an estate auction on Memorial weekend?
Oh well worked good for me as I had to sit and wait close to four hours for them to get to what I was interested in. They had listed a lathe. It was a train wreck of what looked to be an Atlas or parts of an Atlas. I was looking for tooling and there was a fair bit of it. Also had a real nice older drill press, until the two kids trying to move it dropped it of the dolly and broke the housing!
Got a drawer full of tool bits,holders, Jacobs chucks and keys.
A couple of coffee cans full of HSS cobalt tool bits and boring bars.
Another can of carbide stuff.
Then a half of a table full of stuff
A Starrett indicator set in the box for $6
A big wooden crate full of reamers, I see boring bars?
Then several cans full of drill bits of all sizes and lengths, a lot of them were brand new.
A pretty good haul for $40 total.
Made the wait worth it.
Machinist buddy stopped by to see my loot, figured I got at a bare minimum of $400 worth of stuff, not counting the indicator set.
I think I will be good on tool bits for a while.
Now get to using them!
Jeff

Nogoingback the Diamond tool holder that you posted a couple of weeks ago , what are you using it for ?
OK never mind I just watched Des's vid .
http://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid

I got interested in one of these when a friend from work offered me one that he wasn't using. It turns out his was too big for my lathe, but I looked into them a bit anyway and read the reviews I could find. From what I can tell people seem to like them, so I thought I'd give it a try. Up to this point I've been using Arther Warner HSS insert tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back