2017 POTD Thread Archive

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

IGbJBh7Ud6_HwjJKWTDkvvRyS6ktQBWXpKD_z1PJ_iatnISLOqe2RKHh6Lm2Ei60efOuR18Z-K39vbZF-z=w957-h1276-no.jpg

Greg
Those look like they are going to be nice chests. I hope you keep us posted with plenty of pictures.

Did you machine or hand cut the dovetails?

Mark

Thanks Mark. Im not much of a purist, theres a good reason man made machines, life too short for that much hand work. Actually they're finger joints cut on the table saw.

Greg

I'm thinking of starting a new business making barbed wire.
Kinda scared me a bit it was so vicious looking.
barbed.jpg
I was making some stainless knobs.
stainless-knob.jpg
The first one was easy but the long one was a trial.
First the half nut stripped half way through cutting the thread.
I knew it was going to happen eventually but kept hoping that "now" wouldnt arrive.
I had new ones ready to install so that went reasonably fast. Some adjustment and off we go.
I actually managed to pick up the thread spot on, single point 8x1.25mm imperial leadscrew.
Then came the knurling, it double tracked so I turned a smidgen off the dia and re did it.
Half was good but the other half was not so good so I parted it off, cut the central groove, screwed a bunch of nuts on the thread, chucked it up and re-knurled it from the other end taking great care to register in the previous knurles.
I think it came out pretty goodeven the small ball on the end.
This was the toughest stainless I've ever used so far and I scored 2 meters of it.

what was I doing wrong to generate such wicked swarf?

Today I didn't do too much. Just went through what materials I have on hand for making my indexing accessory for my lathe. I managed to find everything I need so can start making the parts this weekend.

Back