2016 POTD Thread Archive

Well, my potd is fairly lame compared to a lot of the posts here. (Of which I'm totally blown away by some of you guys.) But my project has been expensive and hated.... I'm still painting the cinder block walls in my garage in anticipation of my new mill and lathe. I figured I didn't want to move them later after setting them to paint.

Here's a shot of behind where my workbench and primary toolbox lives. This wall has had evidence of water coming through, so this has needed to be done anyway.

IMG_6512.JPG

I need to put the finish top coat of a gloss light gray on. I'll do that tomorrow as this Drylok needs to dry for 24 hours.

I'd like to mount cabinets (which I already have) to this wall. I haven't a clue as to how I want to do it without punching holes into it. That kinda defeats the whole idea of waterproofing the block in the first place. I really don't want to stud it out and create a new wall, but that seems to be the only option I can come up with.

Mounted the retainer nut on the lathe today. Can't wait to mount a chuck on it now!

20160905_190454.jpg

20160905_190500.jpg

Well, my potd is fairly lame compared to a lot of the posts here. (Of which I'm totally blown away by some of you guys.) But my project has been expensive and hated.... I'm still painting the cinder block walls in my garage in anticipation of my new mill and lathe. I figured I didn't want to move them later after setting them to paint.

Here's a shot of behind where my workbench and primary toolbox lives. This wall has had evidence of water coming through, so this has needed to be done anyway.

View attachment 135341

I need to put the finish top coat of a gloss light gray on. I'll do that tomorrow as this Drylok needs to dry for 24 hours.

I'd like to mount cabinets (which I already have) to this wall. I haven't a clue as to how I want to do it without punching holes into it. That kinda defeats the whole idea of waterproofing the block in the first place. I really don't want to stud it out and create a new wall, but that seems to be the only option I can come up with.

Been there done that. Last year after waiting almost ten years my garage finialy got wired, I insulated and sheetrocked the walls and ceiling. boy those were some long nights after work. I felt it would never end. Also found out I am a hoarder and cant bring my self to throw out stuff, solved that issue with a dumpster. Keep your eye on the prize!

Agreed. I've found stuff I didn't know was still in there. Some "end of summer" cleaning is in order.

A farm repair. Pretty crude, Dave dropped in with this pinion from a hay rake, missing a tooth. Built it up with weld and used an angle grinder to shape it. He had another one I could use as a gauge, blueing showed the contact. Told him this one had a tail light warranty.

upload_2016-9-5_19-57-20.png

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 135341

I would just put up a rough frame to support the cabinets, not a whole wall, and then a thin, non-porous surface around/below the cabinets, flat against the concrete to maximize space, painted to hide the inevitable splashes of coolant.

But my project has been expensive and hated.... I'm still painting the cinder block walls in my garage

Reminds me of an old joke. A guy is sitting in a bar when he sees a gorgeous young woman in a low cut top. She comes over to him and says

"Mister, I'll do anything for $150.00"

(Guy) "Absolutely anything?"

(Her) "Absolutely ANYTHING.."

Quick as a flash he reaches into his pocket, peels off three fifties, slaps them down, and says

"OK. Paint my house."

I'd like to mount cabinets (which I already have) to this wall. I haven't a clue as to how I want to do it without punching holes into it.

Well, you don't want to put up studs to mount them on or drill holes. The only other thing I can think of is to make a rack that you can put the cabinets in. You could do it out of 2x4s, but I think you might consider angle iron. Not only would it look industrial, but if you wished to change things around later on it would probably only involve drilling some holes.

I would just put up a rough frame to support the cabinets, not a whole wall, and then a thin, non-porous surface around/below the cabinets, flat against the concrete to maximize space, painted to hide the inevitable splashes of coolant.

Dang it, beat me by four minutes while I was typing.

I needed to make some hanging wires to display some of my RC helocoptes. I found this cool little jewler's bail making plier on Amazon. I've been wanting something like this for years for making small eyelets and loops.

Bail making plier.jpg

Back