2015 POTD Thread Archive

This is the semi dried blank.

Absolutely stunning!
I have always wanted to do some bowl turning. In fact I just picked up two more used books on the subject today.
So many fun projects, so few lifetimes......

-brino

I ordered this compact Milwaukee 18v blower. It arrived yesterday and I am very impressed with it. It is great for clearing my porch and the leaves off my hot tub, with the added benefit of the entertainment I get freaking my cat. I didn't expect it to be much good for my driveway, but it cleared the leaves in one pass at a slow walk.

Have you ever seen the guys that mount a roll of toilet paper on them?
The blower empties the roll and sends it out like streamers.
Now you're fully portable! ;)
-brino

Bored out my mills motor pulley to accept a delrin bushing, when I was boring the delrin for some reason I thought I was trying to hit a number that didn't exist.... it was all my delrin too phuck!! 20151210_220042.jpg 20151210_220112.jpg

I couldn't help noticing that it is snowing on the forum.

It is oak leaf time in Texas. They are everywhere. Texas snow. It always follows the acorn hail season.

I have a very powerful electric blower, but there are some places that it is a pain to drag the wire around. The darn thing gets hung up on everything it can find.

I ordered this compact Milwaukee 18v blower. It arrived yesterday and I am very impressed with it. It is great for clearing my porch and the leaves off my hot tub, with the added benefit of the entertainment I get freaking my cat. I didn't expect it to be much good for my driveway, but it cleared the leaves in one pass at a slow walk.

It also has adapters for enflating things.

View attachment 116442
I once had to run a pull cord/twine through a 400’ pipe. I was at one end of the pipe, attached the twine to a ball that just fit the ID of the pipe. And then turned on the blower at put it over the end of the pipe. WOW, I was amazed at how fast it all worked out, WOW! Before I could look up, my buddy at the other end was saying “I got it!”. Your cute little eye candy blower looks like the perfect blower for a job like that!...Dave.

Not today and not in the shop, but here is a quick fix tool I made at work Thur. Keep in mind all I had to make it with was a 4" angle grinder.
We were installing aluminum glass shoe on the side of a stair made of steel. Well a handful of the holes did not line up. The glass shoe had a clear hole and the stairs were drilled and tapped. Not wanting to chance messing up the threads running a drill though as we are using SS bolts I made this up. It worked pretty good too.
20151210_121527.jpg
I took a bolt and cut it along the center axis then in from one side. After that I added some rake and relief to the end and face. By the ding it in from the stair stringer side and using some back and forth turning like with a tap it bored out the hole in the Al shoe to make the holes line up.
Nice when all my playing in the shop is used to solve real problems.
Here is a photo of the stair withe some of the shoe on it.
20151210_121542.jpg
Just for size reference the shoe is about 4" tall by 2.5" w and comes in 10' lengths.
Mark 20151210_121527.jpg

I took a bolt and cut it along the center axis then in from one side. After that I added some rake and relief to the end and face......using some back and forth turning like with a tap it bored out the hole in the Al shoe to make the holes line up.

Brilliant MccGyverism!
Hopefully the boss sees your commitment and determination to get the job done in the face of problems. Too many people would throw up their hands and say it was not possible to finish because someone else screwed up. That kind of thing does/should reflect well on you!
-brino

brino,
Thanks for the kind words, The boss may never know about this one as I am the foreman on this one and it is only a two man crew. The second guy is part of the reason the holes were off so I'm sure he will not tell the boss and I will not because it will raise the question why were the holes off. ( not the guy to toss someone under the bus) I really just happened to know how to grind tools and that is what made it possible. And I owe a lot that skill and knowledge to this forum. We could have taken it back down and drilled the holes to slots. But I must say my partner was impressed.

Mark

brino,
Thanks for the kind words, The boss may never know about this one as I am the foreman on this one and it is only a two man crew. The second guy is part of the reason the holes were off so I'm sure he will not tell the boss and I will not because it will raise the question why were the holes off. ( not the guy to toss someone under the bus) I really just happened to know how to grind tools and that is what made it possible. And I owe a lot that skill and knowledge to this forum. We could have taken it back down and drilled the holes to slots. But I must say my partner was impressed.

Mark
Good job! I've been on both sides of that wall to - the one that goofed up and the one who fixed the goof up. The boss doesn't have to know everything.

Got the plastic bushing in, it wasn't fun remaking it, after I parted it off and trimmed out the spot for the key, it didn't fit on the shaft and in the pulley. Had to shave a few thou outta the pulley, but maaaaaaaaan what a difference, you can actually talk on the phone while the mill is running. I still think I'm gonna just replace the pulley but from now it's working.

Back