2014 POTD Thread Archive

One of the very few disadvantage to rural life is the hour drive to the city when you need stock. If the foundry was up and running I could cast some brass rod but its not so here was todays alternative. Was given four of these bushings years ago, about 7 1/4 tall and 7 1/2 dia with a 1 5/16 wall. Saw out a slab.

View attachment 67527

And make it round.

View attachment 67528

Greg

Some Guys just have all the luck in the world.
Bully for U
And just pick up a chunk or two of steel at the scrap for TEN BUCKS !!!
U Guys are blessed.
aRM

Last edited:
Some Guys just have all the luck in the world.
Bully for U
And just pick up a chunk or two of steel at the scrap for TEN BUCKS !!!
U Guys are blessed.
aRM
It takes a while to develop some sources for cheap materials. I'm beginning to develop my own little network of "honey holes" for cheap stock too. Scrappers and scrap dealers are a good place to start. Most of these guys will sell you some great stuff for just a little bit over scrap value. Sometimes you can get some decent pieces of equipment for just a little over scrap value too.

Today, I made another tool holder for my tail stock...MT3 taper. It's going to be another tap handle holder. Tonight, I'm not really in the shop, but still doing shop stuff. 1 1/4" hardened bolts from rock truck axles. Considering the trucks cost 5 million each, when they take these bolts out, they get new ones. Did I mention they are hardened ? Extremely hard to machine. Time for a little cave man annealing in the fireplace. I pulled one out of the coals so you guys could see. Sorry for the crappy picture...I only have the camera on my phone to work with. Cheers !

331ae075-36c8-40ce-a6d3-ef1c7353f479_zpsb35895c2.jpg

I have been in the shop or on this forum little for a month or so. I MISS YOU GUYS!!

The few minutes I have had in the shop have been organizing or selling/buying to prep machines, so when I have time again I will have things to work WITH. :)

I am in the process of sorting about an issue with a Sheldon mill I picked up. It is otherwise pristine, with a bent spindle. Trying to decide whether to cut a new one from scratch or fins a parts machine again (long story)

That's all I got for now folks! I am really glad to check in here and see all of your work until I get mine going...

Bernie

Today, I made another tool holder for my tail stock...MT3 taper. It's going to be another tap handle holder. Tonight, I'm not really in the shop, but still doing shop stuff. 1 1/4" hardened bolts from rock truck axles. Considering the trucks cost 5 million each, when they take these bolts out, they get new ones. Did I mention they are hardened ? Extremely hard to machine. Time for a little cave man annealing in the fireplace. I pulled one out of the coals so you guys could see. Sorry for the crappy picture...I only have the camera on my phone to work with. Cheers !

How long you figure you let that sit in the coals? Do you air cool or under coal or what?

It actually took more than one day to do this, but Sunday evening I got to assemble it all and try it out. I needed a way to sharpen my carbide scrapers. A Glendo grinder turns around 300+ rpm. I had to make a pulley for my tool & cutter grinder to lower the speed. I was able to get it down to 700 rpm working within the confines of the only drive belt I have and the range of tension adjustment. On the spindle I used an inexpensive carbide lapping disk from ebay and backed it up with a piece of mdf. I built the tool rest to a +5º fixed angle out of wood. It works well although it removes carbide quite a bit faster than the Glendo grinder we used at Rich King's scraping class. The first picture is the setup. The second shows a scraper blade marked with red marker, and the third shows how the blade appears after sharpening one side.

01 Setup for sharpening (Large).JPG05 Blade inked (Large).JPG06 Blade sharpened on one side (Large).JPG

01 Setup for sharpening (Large).JPG 05 Blade inked (Large).JPG 06 Blade sharpened on one side (Large).JPG

I needed a key for my four jaw chuck so I made one up with some scrap stock.

20140114_210236-1_zpsda82f037.jpg

Carlos.

Back