2" x 72" Belt Grinder Kit

What am I missing here.....for $350- you get a few laser cut steel plates? And then you need to source and buy everything else? This DIY get expensive fast....Adding a good motor and VFD will bring the total upwards of $1000?

What's included in the Bundle (Please read):

• Full Plan set (digital only not printed - details below)
  • Laser Cut Steel Pack (all parts listed below)
  • Ultimate Hardware Pack (all hardware needed to build the Revolution including the platen bolt set & the Tracking Mechanism bolt set)
* To finish the grinder you will need:

• The tube steel (sizing and fabrication listed in the plan set)
  • Wheels (4 total)
  • Tracking Mechanism (links in the plan set or build your own)
  • 4" of 1" round steel (for the work rest)
  • High carbon steel for the platen face
  • An approved motor (links to motors on the resources page)
  • A motor controller (VFD)
  • Some wiring including the plug to plug it in.

Yeah I tend to agree that it's going to be around $1000 by the time it's done. Just the wheels and rollers are several hundred dollars. I asked a longtime machinest about building one of these for making HSS lathe cutters and he said stick with a white wheel on a tool grinder. That said, for anything else, sure, this would be nice to have, but I don't have the space, so I stick with a 12" sanding disk.

I am a big fan of these 2 X 72 belt sanders, and have made more than a few knives on a Wilton Square Wheel belt sander Circa 1970s (very similar to the modern Jet J-4103). I like those models for the ease of going from the Platen and small diameter wheels, to the big 10 inch wheel to do work (like hollow grinds or hogging). They can really remove the metal fast. There is a huge selection of quality belts for them as well.

I just ordered a DIY kit for a Revolution 2" x 72" belt grinder from Brian House. I wonder if any of you are familiar with these, or have any views about a grinder of this type. I think they are used largely by knife makers, which I am not. I just thought they were kind of cool. I attached a picture of a completed kit.

It looks to be a very nice design! I think I have most everything needed for to build it in the scrap pile. I would love to see a build thread on that sander also if you are up for it Tmate? I would be particularly interested in how the tracking system works?

You can buy the kit here or plans alone. =Brian House

Well heck! He does a very nice job describing the whole build in his video. Thank you for posting it! The laser cut plates look VERY stout. $350... hmmmm.

All the plates from House are 3/8" thick steel, maybe cold roll. I haven't received the shipment yet. I'll take some pictures when I get started on it.
There are tons of people selling plans, kits, completed machines, etc. Lots of how-to videos on YouTube. House has a lot of competition.

I fool around with blacksmithing a bit, and have made just a handful of blades so I've been checking out 2x72 belt grinder kits for a while now. Many of the nice kits are north of $2K and they go a lot higher than that if you want!

My neighbor built that unit from the kit. He is in over $700 to date

I can't comment on the specific model but I will add: If you build it I would make sure you use a 3450 rpm motor (not 1725). You will get much better results with the drive wheel shown.
Robert

Edit: Just realized he used a 3phase motor and a VFD. That's fine too. My comment above would only be relevant if you set it up with fixed speed. You could save a lot of money if you already had a 3450rpm motor.
R

Back