WTB 2 inch bullet vise

for my model building work this seems to be working fine for me
I love my larger version of that vise, Chinese or no. The only thing that is sketchy to me is the clamp base. I’ve not had much luck with them but it might be better than the ones I’ve used.

for my model building work this seems to be working fine for me
Thank you! That looks like an excellent alternative. They're out of stock right now, so I asked to be notified when it's available.

As often happens this thread has knocked loose a memory something that has been in my junk pile since the mid 90’s. We upgraded the field men to a different style of radio and I took out this heavy duty military looking swivel lock mount and kept it. It looked like it would be useful but never found the exact use. It looks like that high $$ mount( in my failing memory) in the Wilton pics. It’s been through at least 4 moves and I know it’s been on the “go or stay” chopping block every time and I’ve not done a deep dive on the really old stuff so I’ve not seen it in a while. Got me curious to see if it’s still out there as it would make a good small vise mount.

It was actually that post that sparked my interest. I looked in the bay and the local Craigs, to no avail. I currently have a "tiny" vise on my electronics bench, one of those ancient cheapos, and really want to replace it
Finding a Wilton 2" machinist model (commonly called a baby bullet) on the local Craigslist would be a true diamond in a haystack...but it can happen. There are many vise collectors who have searches set up to alert them any time one shows up...it's pretty crazy.

There are usually a few on eBay, and the easiest way to find them is to search on "Wilton Baby Bullet" as that's the common nickname for the 2" vises. The prices have jumped on them in the past ten years or so. That has led sellers to start calling 2.5" and even 3" or 3.5" Wiltons "baby bullets" when they really aren't. Some folks call the 2.5" models the "Toddler bullet" as it's just a bit bigger.

Pricing for a baby bullet on a PowRarm or a swivel base starts around $500 and some examples like the really early ones or those with original stickers can be much higher. Without the swivel or positioner they bring a bit less, but are still expensive. A few years ago someone scanned early Wilton logos and released them to the world and now we have fakes that people claim have original paint and stickers, but are definitely fakes if you know what you're looking for. They paint them, get them gritty and then artificially age them just enough....and charge a crazy premium for them. I have a baby bullet with original paint and stickers, and have had a couple of others with original paint (stickers missing) so I know how they're faking them, but won't describe it anywhere online. The one linked in the other thread appears legit, at least without seeing it in person.

From an actual use standpoint, the baby bullet isn't really special....it doesn't take much to hold small stuff like that. For small stuff I actually have a small machine vise on a positioner that I really like. I think the vise is actually a Palmgren product. This little beast is shockingly strong and I have yet to put anything on it remotely capable of making it lose position....

You can always build your own replica. Tom Lipton has plans and an entire Youtube series on building one. Not original, and if you don't want a project, I get it. I've built two of them, and it's a fun project.

Finding a Wilton 2" machinist model (commonly called a baby bullet) on the local Craigslist would be a true diamond in a haystack...but it can happen. There are many vise collectors who have searches set up to alert them any time one shows up...it's pretty crazy.
Yup! That's why I posted here. OK, wishful thinking. That's why I glommed onto @tghsmith's suggestion.
From an actual use standpoint, the baby bullet isn't really special....it doesn't take much to hold small stuff like that. For small stuff I actually have a small machine vise on a positioner that I really like. I think the vise is actually a Palmgren product. This little beast is shockingly strong and I have yet to put anything on it remotely capable of making it lose position....

Hmmm ... looks like a slightly incorrect URL ... ???

This is the one I want. I've been looking for one for a very long time, mostly because I just want it but they are getting really expensive, as you can see. I would take a Parker vise over a Wilton any day.

Same vice as the one mentioned above at HF for 1/3 the cost: HF Vice

I've searched for years for a baby bullet vice for reasonable price. I am not a collector but wanted to use it in the shop. They have gotten crazy expensive by collectors. I finally settled on one of these from HF. I thought the price was so good I bought several for Christmas gifts a couple years ago. No one complained.

Best Regards,
Bob

Back