2 Free Air Compressors

jpfabricator

Active User
Registered
It was cleanup day at the local railyard. I was in the right place at the right time and am now the owner of 2 out of service gas powered air compressors.
uploadfromtaptalk1472743754813.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1472743769508.jpg
The one with the hose reel is on a steel skid plate, the air pump spins, it just got striped of its motor.
The other one has a motor with no pump.
So it looks like more hydrotesting, and painting for me.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

That's the plan. The left over tank may be plumbed into the existing air system for added volume, or made into a smoker. Only time will tell?

That's the plan. The left over tank may be plumbed into the existing air system for added volume, or made into a smoker. Only time will tell?

I truly admire how you Texans can make a smoker out of just about anything and then crank out some amazing cue with it!

Hmmm,.......I happen to have a electric start 16hp CI Kohler out back......

Yes the one motor is a Kholer. I'm on vacation next week, so I should have plenty of time to tinker with them.

Update:
The gray I/R compressor with the motor has some really deep rust craters hiding under the bubbling paint. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say it spent most of its life by the coast. Looks like a bbq pit project is in my future! I haven't had a chance to check the motor, but I do know it won't turn by hand, yet.

The Speedaire's tank looks good from the outside, but will still get a hydrotest.
The compressor pump wouldent turn by hand so I pulled the head and valve plate to find......
uploadfromtaptalk1473024898984.jpg
two cylinders chock full of rust!
So I scraped out the scale, and filled them up with Evaporust.
uploadfromtaptalk1473026199742.jpg
tomorrow we will see what it does.
To be continued.......

I wouldn't be surprised if you could get o/s pistons and rings for that thing. It could be bored and honed just like an engine. Keith or Richard at DKR could tell you.

Kerosene sitting in those bores has been known to help break free pistons and rings

Back