1HP good for 2x48 belt sander/grinder?

High hp on a 2" grinder is usually for the crazy knife maker types who want to use it as a bulk material removal tool instead of a refining tool.

Like others I don't quite see the need for a 1.75 hp motor on a 2" grinder unless it's in a commercial shop being used continually. I have a Rockwell/Delta 6"x 48" belt sander that only has a 1.5 hp motor. I regularly use it to radius corners on 1/2" and 3/4" stock. I've never stalled it or even had it slow down with reasonable feed.

I also have a 1"x 42" Kalamazoo grinder. It only has a 1/3 hp motor and it's used regularly to sharpen knives and mower blades.

High hp on a 2" grinder is usually for the crazy knife maker types who want to use it as a bulk material removal tool instead of a refining tool.
And they're mistaken... I can hog off enough metal on my 2.5" to keep you from touching the piece for quite some time. It can be a bulk removal tool, but *heat* is the price you pay. No way out of that.

GsT

I really don't think you'll suffer much in terms of belt wear either - belts aren't bandsaw blades. If there's been a difference in belt wear between my grinders it's been negligible - and belts are (relatively) inexpensive.
Right, for bandsaw, speed it's critical when cutting wood, to aluminum to steel. Tooth count is also critical (for effective cutting) based on material thickness.

How much I'll use the variable speed for the grinder will probably be more when I switch between materials, wood, metals and plastics will be helpful... I guess, if I have it and never use it, I'll never know, but I'd like to have it and it may come in handy, who knows.

I know I can rip through lots of 1" x 30" belts quickly when doing a lot of aluminum... and when my parts heat up, that generally means the belt isn't cutting, it's just rubbing, creating heat and has little affect. Time for a new belt. I've learned, good belts for the right material can make a huge difference. For aluminum, once that stuff gums up and sticks to the belt, cutting effectiveness drops quickly and so low heat... and hopefully slowing down the belt speed will hopefully prove beneficial. Speculation at best.

My 1HP is now on order now, anything larger is likely overkill. Plus a smaller, lighter motor will be nice since I'll get the bench stop stand that can swivel the grinder/sander on it's side.

Right, for bandsaw, speed it's critical when cutting wood, to aluminum to steel. Tooth count is also critical (for effective cutting) based on material thickness.

How much I'll use the variable speed for the grinder will probably be more when I switch between materials, wood, metals and plastics will be helpful... I guess, if I have it and never use it, I'll never know, but I'd like to have it and it may come in handy, who knows.

I know I can rip through lots of 1" x 30" belts quickly when doing a lot of aluminum... and when my parts heat up, that generally means the belt isn't cutting, it's just rubbing, creating heat and has little affect. Time for a new belt. I've learned, good belts for the right material can make a huge difference. For aluminum, once that stuff gums up and sticks to the belt, cutting effectiveness drops quickly and so low heat... and hopefully slowing down the belt speed will hopefully prove beneficial. Speculation at best.

My 1HP is now on order now, anything larger is likely overkill. Plus a smaller, lighter motor will be nice since I'll get the bench stop stand that can swivel the grinder/sander on it's side.
Have you been using a wax when sanding aluminum? It makes a huge difference, less heat, better finish and longer belt life!

Not cheap but it lasts a long time

Have you been using a wax when sanding aluminum? It makes a huge difference, less heat, better finish and longer belt life!

Not cheap but it lasts a long time
I have a stick like that, it's green in color, works magic on carbide tips blades when cutting aluminum with table saw or circular saw.... have tried it on flap disks with angle grinder... but will now have to try it on my 1 x 30" sander and see results.... sometimes it wears off so quickly it's not worth the mess. Maybe the LPS stuff is better than what I have. I think mine came from walter abrasives.

I've even tried flap disks for angle grinder that are coated (forgot what it actually is) for aluminum, they do help, but sometimes quickly come off... making them useless. Heat is the enemy, no heat no issues... but if you want quick removal, or aggressive cutting, you have no option.

I now have to find a good source for 2 x 48 belts... I'll probably get a bunch in few grits, 60 to 120, and even try the 2M scotch brite buffing belts from fine to course.

The LPS edge lube is more like a tube of very dry wax, it won't work on saw blades. I find it really clings to sanding belts for a long time.

The LPS edge lube is more like a tube of very dry wax, it won't work on saw blades. I find it really clings to sanding belts for a long time.
Thanks for the info... I'll pick one up and try it out. Aluminum can be a real challenge sometimes, but generally I really like working with it and welding with it.

I built a 2x72" w/ a 2HP VFD driven motor. 95% use is on mild steel. For sharpening, deburring and other light grinding uses the 2HP is overkill, but I find the bigger motor definitely comes in handy if I am using it to create V's on mating edges for welding thicker material, or trying to shape heavy material. The adjustable speed is less critical, but I do adjust it some with different grits, using ceramic belts.

My 2x48 is 1/2 hp, so it does pretty good most of the time but it ain't enough overall. My dad has the same 2x48 as mine in the 3/4 hp version, it's much much better. Makes me think the sweet spot is right at 1 hp. I guess it would be different with a VFD, but I don't really think I need different speeds on an abrasive belt. I only sand aluminum on rare occasions, mostly aluminum is just deburred, so for me it's 95% steel. Nice thing about grinding steel is you know when your belts are finally worn out.

Back