1HP good for 2x48 belt sander/grinder?

skcncx

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Any hesitation with a 1 HP variable speed motor for a 2" x 48" belt grinder?

This is for general metal fabrication, mostly aluminum stuff... just the random sanding edges, beveling edges, rounding corners, etc of small metal parts.

My pic at the moment is the Alec Steele 2x48 sander/grinder with a striatech 1HP motor w/speed controller. Motor will do 100 to 5000 RPM. They post their torque at rpm... but honestly, I can't interpret it. Striatech does have a 1.75 HP option, but I can find the 1 HP on sale for much less than the 1.75, plus it's lighter and smaller and with the flip stand, lighter seems like a good benifit.

I'm upgrading my cheap 1" X 30" belt sander to a 2 x 48 with variable speed control since I'm finding how much I use my cheap 1" x 30" belt sander... but a wider belt, faster belt changes, more options for tool rests, angles, etc, slack belt option and a longer belt for less heat build up and longer belt life is what I'm going after. A quality 2x48 and it's compact size is right where I want to be. Though, like usual, spending $1200 between motor and frame... seems like a lot to spin some sand paper :).

My Ellis (2.5" x 60") has a 1HP motor and I've never wanted for more, but is fixed speed. My Burr King is 1.5HP, variable speed. I doubt you'd ever have an issue with the motor you linked - except for the price (ouch!).

GsT

My Ellis (2.5" x 60") has a 1HP motor and I've never wanted for more, but is fixed speed. My Burr King is 1.5HP, variable speed. I doubt you'd ever have an issue with the motor you linked - except for the price (ouch!).

GsT
Good to know, thanks! The more I looked at other offerings, the more I've seen 2x48 paired with 1 HP motors. The larger 1.75 HP motor if quite a bit heavier and larger. I have the 1.75 HP on my Rikon band saw and it's been great. Just didn't want to step down to the 1 HP and always feel like it needed a little more power and easily bogged down.

The price for the 750w / 1 HP version can be purchased for $550. Not cheap, but it's not the $800 they have listed if you buy direct from Striatech. It saves me from sourcing a VFD and motor separately, has all the controls I need, plus has 4 quick speed change/memory buttons. And, just by changing the plug on the end, I can plug it into a 110 or 220 outlet.

for longer belt life go with a 2x72.
Yea, I know. The compact size of the 2x48 fits is more of a priority than belt life at the moment. I doubt I'll see any meaningful savings with the amount of use I'll use it.

Nice sander but I'm much too much of a cheapskate to ever pay that much for a motor- I'd probably pull one out
of a treadmill and match it with a KB controller off Ebay
1 HP seems like plenty to me

Nice sander but I'm much too much of a cheapskate to ever pay that much for a motor- I'd probably pull one out
of a treadmill and match it with a KB controller off Ebay
1 HP seems like plenty to me
Yea, looks like you are at $200 for the controller. Never heard of KB controllers.... I don't know what I don't know! I guess if you can find a nearly free treadmill motor, it's a good savings. Though, my wife not like it when she goes to turn the treadmill on and it doesn't spin the belt. Not sure she would like a grinding accessory bolted to her treadmill either. Ha!

I actually have a 550 watt 3/4 HP Consew sewing machine motor laying around. Adapt it for mounting and shaft and that might be a cheap option as well. Those can be picked up, motor and variable speed controller for $150 if you didn't already have one. I used that on my old Atlas 618 lathe and it worked good... I'd imagine a belt grinder would be in the same ball park power hungry wise.

I'll pay a little extra for convivence, plug and play.... I already have a few tools in the mix that are are small projects to get them where I want them for my use... so add another and I might not get anything done.

I recently picked up a Kalamazoo 2x48 that the previous owner had upgraded with a 1.5HP AOSmith motor and a good VFD, as well as making a much larger table and putting the whole thing on wheels. I paid $700 and felt fine about that. I've been a bit surprised about how useful it is and how quickly it moves metal. It's terrific for rounding corners and the shop footprint is pretty negligible.

I've been a bit surprised about how useful it is and how quickly it moves metal. It's terrific for rounding corners and the shop footprint is pretty negligible.
Me too... I purchased my 1" x 30" sander for $100 for a single wood project I had sanding some CNC'd letters... getting into metal working now and I keep coming back to it for simple tasks. I like the 2 x 48 models where you can have different wheels and easily interchange and customize accessories with a square bar for mounting. A bigger foot print than the 2x48 upright 2 wheel kalamazoo format, but not much. The slack grinding, didn't realize how useful that is, I have a small section on my 1" x 30" where there's no backing plate and for easing edges it's very nice to work with. From what I can tell, the Alec Steel/Shopmate 48 version makes it very easy to switch your positions with or without backing plate and from horizontal to vertical (like many of the 2 x 48 versions) I'll actually use all those feature because it's tool-less and seconds to change... same with belt. Easy on and off makes it so much nicer to work with. The variable speed will be welcomed... just like on my band saw, critical for switching between metals and different tooth count blades.

Good to know, thanks! The more I looked at other offerings, the more I've seen 2x48 paired with 1 HP motors. The larger 1.75 HP motor if quite a bit heavier and larger. I have the 1.75 HP on my Rikon band saw and it's been great. Just didn't want to step down to the 1 HP and always feel like it needed a little more power and easily bogged down.

The price for the 750w / 1 HP version can be purchased for $550. Not cheap, but it's not the $800 they have listed if you buy direct from Striatech. It saves me from sourcing a VFD and motor separately, has all the controls I need, plus has 4 quick speed change/memory buttons. And, just by changing the plug on the end, I can plug it into a 110 or 220 outlet.
I'd be interested in hearing dissenting opinions, but I don't think variable speed is much of an advantage on a belt grinder. It surely hasn't been for me. The only time I adjust speed on my Burr King is when the knob has been inadvertently bumped to 'extremely slow' and I've never missed speed adjustment on the Ellis, which I use about 10x more frequently for quick deburring as well as heavy stock removal (with different belts, obviously).

I really don't think you'll suffer much in terms of belt wear either - belts aren't bandsaw blades. If there's been a difference in belt wear between my grinders it's been negligible - and belts are (relatively) inexpensive.

GsT

Back