1988 Hawk NT650 resto

Yeah, it sounds like the bike was tracked. As long as it wasn't crashed and sustained frame damage you should be fine. I have to admit that its a really nice looking bike, albeit a bit naked! ;)

I did want to offer one bit of advice if you plan to mod the bike and put second hand parts on it (forks, master cylinders, etc). Those parts will be in an unknown condition and if you can, always take apart and rebuild it. Forks, masters, brakes, etc. all need to be rebuilt so that you are sure they will work as intended. Your life depends on their function so please take this advice to heart. If I can help, let me know.

Thanks ever so much Mike.
I will definitely reach out to you for guidance.
The brakes and suspension will get the once over twice. I found a local rebuilder for the shock as that’s out of my league.
The YZ rear shock was simple to rebuild but this Progressive Suspension unit is more complex.

My goal is an improved version of the original. I recall the power was quite adequate and very linear so engine mods are low on the list. Stop and handle well are first priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've probably seen this article but I thought it was well done and gave me a better feel for what you're dealing with. The bike is simple enough that you should get it up and running with little trouble. I would just LOVE to have that bike to play with and despite their apparent love for the stock forks I would be looking for a CBR600 front end. I've used Race Tech emulators in the stock SV front end and they work but it is a lot of work to tune them. Once you get them there though, they work well. If you go that route you'll be happy.

Have fun, Dave. This is going to be a labor of love but you will have one of the best older cult bikes there is.

Thanks for the link Mike. I had not seen that article. Tons of excellent information there in!

I suspect I will go the way of the Stage 3 kit as my air box is no more. The owner thought he had it it but couldn’t find it.

Forgot to mention this but have you heard of the Morgan Carbtune? I used to own a Rebel 450 and loved that bike. Synching the carbs made a huge difference in performance and if you don't own a carb synch tool, look at the Morgan. Or maybe have the carbs synched by a pro shop near you.

Forgot to mention this but have you heard of the Morgan Carbtune? I used to own a Rebel 450 and loved that bike. Synching the carbs made a huge difference in performance and if you don't own a carb synch tool, look at the Morgan. Or maybe have the carbs synched by a pro shop near you.

As a matter of fact I own a Morgan Carbtune. Bought it to sync the injection bodies on my 2005 Honda ST1300.
Works a treat!
b8d683b79275619e38f18c1b105013fb.jpg

Back