1988 Hawk NT650 resto

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I sold my 2000 YZ125 today which freed up my motorcycle lift so I can start on my Hawk.
I’ve had the bike for about a year, gathering parts and now I can finally start the process.
Super excited!
68ed4548fb98b746a324c189585e2c8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking bike: it doesn't look like it needs to be restored.

Looks are deceiving in this case.
It’s largely intact cosmetically but has some engine and general neglect issues.
Biggest cosmetic issue is a dent in the tank. :(
57fc762599c1091e9af93cd87febbc43.jpg

Those are super bikes, they didn't sell well and I suppose the SV650 kinda supplanted them but a cult bike none the less. I have spent time on them and our company is presently supporting an AHRMA race bike hawk. Not a great race season with the pandemic issues. Hope to see more of your progress!

Very good looking bike.
Just wondering how you intend to push/pull the dent out of the tank?
I saw a guy working a dent out of a brand new car at a dealers. It is known as a 'no paint' repair because it is all done from the inside. Truly amazing to watch that guy work. The repair did not show when he was done.

Very good looking bike.
Just wondering how you intend to push/pull the dent out of the tank?
I saw a guy working a dent out of a brand new car at a dealers. It is known as a 'no paint' repair because it is all done from the inside. Truly amazing to watch that guy work. The repair did not show when he was done.

Thanks, I’ve wanted one of these bikes since 1988 when I rode one at a Honda Demo day.

There are tools shaped like ‘L’s that have plastic balls on the end.
They are inserted into a confined space and then used to gradually push out the dent from the inside.
The interior of the tank is very tight so it remains to be seen how successful that technique might be.

Those are super bikes, they didn't sell well and I suppose the SV650 kinda supplanted them but a cult bike none the less. I have spent time on them and our company is presently supporting an AHRMA race bike hawk. Not a great race season with the pandemic issues. Hope to see more of your progress!

I rode one of these when they first came out. Didn’t have the coin to buy one but it stuck in my head.
Good luck with your racing efforts! I love seeing these bikes compete as they still give a good showing.
What team are you supporting?

Could you pressurize the tank to pop it out or suction cup may pull it out.

Could you pressurize the tank to pop it out or suction cup may pull it out.

That’s a definite possibility though I’d be a bit concerned about ballooning the shape out of it.

Best idea is to take the tank to the best paintless dent repair guy in your area. It takes experience to do a good repair and buying a set of tools and having a go might be fun but you will be money ahead just having the work done. I'm not just saying that. My brother has a set of tools and I've used them on an old tank. Its much harder than it looks.

Nice bike, David!

Back