1980s Jet 1236PS, a step up from an Atlas 12x36?

Fantastic lathe at a fantastic price. I have the same lathe 1985 made in Taiwan. Many times I've thought about buying a new lathe. But I use it mostly for gunsmithing and there are simply none better in my estimation. I converted mind to DC Drive added DRO and recently a digital tachometer. You can read all about it on my website. Www.rvbprecision.com

howdy folks, just wanted to tag this old thread as I am looking at a JEt 1236P as my first lathe.

howdy folks, just wanted to tag this old thread as I am looking at a JEt 1236P as my first lathe.
I purchased a Jet 1236P today, SN 8514, looks identical to one pictured at top of this thread.

I do not need another lathe, as if need is deciding factor! ( Frejoth 13x36, Sheldon 10x36, Logan 12x36, SB 13x36 circa 1923 with the Flather patent single lever QC gearbox when SB first began using them, sweet!!). Price was good (for us on Left coast /OR). Covid thing has me on CL Way Too Much or maybe some bigger problem than (my reaction to) Covid.

Did you get the Jet 1236P you were looking at?? I think this would be a great lathe, first or whatever, given its attributes. Only possible drawback might be lack of higher spindle speeds for finish with carbide tooling but that can be addressed given belt drive.

Does anyone have info on Jet SN and Production dates? Would like to find SN info. Good news, "jet" is still in business. Bad news, its site seems to provide nothing on "vintage" machines. To be fair, I have not called Jet so maybe they have tons of info, just not worth posting. Sad contrast to Logan and what you can learn from Sheldon users group, neither Co. has made lathes for what, 60 plus years! And Tony's Lathes.com UK has Sn lists for many lathes, but not Jet (or most of the myriad other asian equivalents best I can tell) End of Mr Grumpy American Iron Rules mini rant.

No, never came across one in decent shape for a decent price. Ended up with a Clausing 5310 12x36. Searching for a VFD now to hook it all up.

I have an Atlas 12x36, this came up about 100 miles from me and wondering what your collective thinking is on this deal, here's pics:

View attachment 168729

View attachment 168730

It was the sellers father in law who as a retired machinist bought this for home use(probably not the original owner). The seller does not know anything about lathes, it in his mom's garage and she wants it gone. Condition in the pics looks pretty good but hard to tell, accessories and tooling are a question but everything on the bench is included. Correct me if I'm mistaken but I believe this Taiwan made early 80s(?) Jet has hardened ways and is substantially heavier than the Atlas, and has a !.5" spindle(almost 2x the Atlas). Any weirdness associated with this era/model of Jet? Not sure what the PS means, I googled it but didn't find anything specific regarding it. They're only asking $500 for it, so I almost feel obligated to take a look, probably only a 4hr round trip drive so no not bad. I was the first one to respond early this AM, when he responded to my email(phone call) he said he knows I will be driving a bit so he's holding it for me for "first chance" tomorrow morning when he is showing it. He also stated he has had a lot of responses after my early call.

What of you think?

thanks, Brian

I have an Atlas 12x36, this came up about 100 miles from me and wondering what your collective thinking is on this deal, here's pics:

View attachment 168729

View attachment 168730

It was the sellers father in law who as a retired machinist bought this for home use(probably not the original owner). The seller does not know anything about lathes, it in his mom's garage and she wants it gone. Condition in the pics looks pretty good but hard to tell, accessories and tooling are a question but everything on the bench is included. Correct me if I'm mistaken but I believe this Taiwan made early 80s(?) Jet has hardened ways and is substantially heavier than the Atlas, and has a !.5" spindle(almost 2x the Atlas). Any weirdness associated with this era/model of Jet? Not sure what the PS means, I googled it but didn't find anything specific regarding it. They're only asking $500 for it, so I almost feel obligated to take a look, probably only a 4hr round trip drive so no not bad. I was the first one to respond early this AM, when he responded to my email(phone call) he said he knows I will be driving a bit so he's holding it for me for "first chance" tomorrow morning when he is showing it. He also stated he has had a lot of responses after my early call.

What of you think?

thanks, Brian
Hi Brian, my name is Monty, i have this exact Jet lathe, i have been looking for someone that has one for ever, im restoring mine and am all done, what i need are clear pics of all 5 placards/labels so i can get some made and possibly the owner/operator manual. I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Monty

Hi Brian, my name is Monty, i have this exact Jet lathe, i have been looking for someone that has one for ever, im restoring mine and am all done, what i need are clear pics of all 5 placards/labels so i can get some made and possibly the owner/operator manual. I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Monty

Thank you,
Monty

mcgyver1959, I say buy it. Underpriced and a good machine. I purchased what looks like essentially the same lathe, Jet 1236P, SN 8514, Circa 1987, for $800 in Sep 2020 and still think I got a decent deal. Very lightly used, not abused, but very dirty (farmer owned), has Essentials ( Chucks, faceplate, Steady and follower rests, etc), but zip tooling. Oregon (not a place offering great machine values).​

I have a number of lathes and have not used this machine, but after cleaning it up and looking at it honestly, it has caused me to "rethink" my intense bias against Taiwan machines in favor of old american iron. Like someone else said, buy it, use it, if you don't like it, sell it. You will not get hurt bad at that price so long as it is not really broken or totally worn out. I agree that it will be a very pleasant step up from the Atlas.

Chuck

Monty: OK, Senior moment. Forget my reply to old post from mcgyver1959. I have a very similar Jet lathe with most all the placards/labels. Happy to try and get you some pics. Do not have owner/operator manual.

Geeze, old post from Calstar. not Mcgyver1959. I give up for the day. Sorry folks. But trust me, the Bordeaux bottle I have just about finished was pretty decent.

Back