1980s Jet 1236PS, a step up from an Atlas 12x36?

Did you get it?

Chris

Well, yes and no. I bought and paid for it, took parts home but the headstock, bed and cross slide are still there. Upon arrival I was surprised to there was no garage. You know the story of the guy who built a large boat in his backyard and then realized he couldn't get it out? Similar story here, lathe originally in garage, lathe moved out the back door of garage to shop on back of house, garage converted to living space, only access to back of house now across a lawn, a narrow 3' path with 2' clearance between fireplace and property line wall about 100' total! Here's a pic(forgot my camera, cell phone pics here):

IMG_2873_zps83b68f08.jpg

I'm returning next saturday to get it, plan on borrowing a friends cherry picker, taking it apart to get it into the backyard, reassembly, remove lathe from base, instal lathe on custom dolly I'll build with 6" wheels(600lb each), use 2x12 plank system(have the 2x12s), roll it to my truck in front, reassemble cherry picker, lift onto truck, drive home!! Obviously didn't plan on this but what the heck, just another of lifes little adventures.

Other than that(and the extremely sucky LA traffic, 2hrs down early am, 3.5 back in afternoon traffic) I am very pleased(ok, excited) with the purchase. Its in excellent condition, only some grime, very minor and limited surface rust(looks way worse in pics), no broken gear teeth, clean oil, ways excellent, looks like it was owned by a machinist(it was) and sat indoors for the last couple of years unused. Has 2hp motor, 3 jaw, beefy 8.5" 4 jaw(made in USA Westcott, anyone familiar with this?), KDK tool holders, steady rest, follower, lot of other odds and ends.

Only downside other than the needed return trip is the fact that I have my recently purchased Clausing 2530 in parts to clean and reassemble(progress is glacially slow, been working a lot, priorities,etc.), so this will have to wait awhile before I can get started on it, I have learned from past experience(I hope) NOT to start more than one of these projects without going nuts.

Here are some cell pics,motor/pulley drive removed ready for move next week:

IMG_2874_zps98dcc18a.jpg

IMG_2892_zps3d4748ab.jpg
IMG_2887_zpse6aa2ee9.jpg

IMG_2890_zps1a53c71c.jpg

IMG_2891_zpsadbdf42f.jpg

IMG_2897_zps5603beee.jpg

IMG_2893_zps07b5d02d.jpg

the tailstock quill won't move, its not locked and the handle turns freely, any ideas? Have some PBlaster on the quill now.
e988cef9-e8c5-4f3c-8d8b-9e78bf221ace_zpsb4f4c166.png

thats it for now, most likely more pics of the move next week.

Brian

Looks good! That looks like it will be an interesting move.

im wondering if someone cranked the quill out to the point that the threads disengaged and got it stuck trying to pull it out.
If you had a helicopter it would take care of the move, including traffic.:roflmao:

Chris

Being forced to drive that long and do that much work to move it takes off some of the shine, but I bet you won't care when you've got it up and running if it's anywhere nice a machine as George says it is. Good luck with the rest of the move and be careful.
-Ryan

Being forced to drive that long and do that much work to move it takes off some of the shine, but I bet you won't care when you've got it up and running if it's anywhere nice a machine as George says it is. Good luck with the rest of the move and be careful.
-Ryan

Yes it does, I'd much rather not have to do it but in the grand scheme of things/life this doesn't even rate as a hiccup, another $40 in gas and day's worth of work so no biggie. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Don't have much lathe experience or been around them but compared to the Atlas this thing, with the same footprint, is a beast. At this point it seems definitely to be worth the effort and wait.[/FONT] Another positive is I again get to eat at a killer "locals" Mexican food restaurant in this East LA area location with fresh, hand made corn tortillas included.:aok:

Brian

Last edited:
Yes it looks like the ram is cranked out to far and disingaged from the screw. Easy fix.

Even though you were busy with other things and the move is sort of a pain, this is one of those must-buy situations as you got a really good deal. Heck, you can sell that Atlas and make money on the upgrade. That's what I call a slick move.

Even though I have a SB 10K now but just to prove that I never throw or delete anything, I still have a decent PDF scan of the user manual for the Jet 1024/1236 S. I'm not sure how or if that differs from your lathe, but if you need a copy let me know and I'll get a one to you.

Also had a 1024 for years, though mine was an Enco. Same lathe. It was my go-to lathe every day, making parts for US-made lathes and mills of all kinds. I only sold it to buy a Grizzly which was 20 years newer (2007), a little larger (12x36), but otherwise the same belt-drive lathe as that Enco and your lathe. Right now I use that Grizzly all the time, walking past 3 logans to use it. Good stuff, you did well.
As for Atlas, I buy those from time to time, but I don't keep them. Find it a new home and don't look back.

Yes it looks like the ram is cranked out to far and disingaged from the screw. Easy fix.

thats what it was, but in trying to re-engage the screw someone slightly chingered the first thread on the screw and "nut"/threaded brass liner in the quill just enough so the screw couldn't be started again. I removed the handle/dial, removed the screw, had to use a brass drift to push out the quill, a little judicious filing and its working fine, although gets a little snug when it approaches the 3.5 mark as the quill is extended. This is all I'm doing with the lathe until the Clausing is done(no, really). Took pics, will post in the Jet forum for any interested.

Brian

Calstar, congrats on the purchase. I have actually been in contact with the seller and you beat me by a couple of hours. I stumbled upon this thread by accident and instantly recognized the details of the lathe. I've been looking for a lathe in So. Cal. for a few months now, and this has been by far the best deal.

Back