1966 Model a 9 3 phase to single

I installed two KB drives on my previous mill for axis drives and helped a few other people that had purchased them for mills and lathes. They are good as a stand alone unit where you basically turn them on/off and adjust the speed from the control panel, but beyond that they are less ideal in machines where you want remote operation controls and more flexibility/control on how the VFD operates. Most of the models have no programing, so adjustments are made with pots and jumpers on the control board. The KB drives have very minimal braking and speed control/power was an issue at lower speeds, I ended up replacing it with a Hitachi WJ200. On the plus side they are often used for grinders because they are sealed and basically you want an on/off button and speed control. Depending on the model, they may require additional components for remote operation and it all adds up. On the model you indicated it does have the option for a for/rev switch but it does not have traditional terminals for an external switch.

Teco L-510 are decent and a good basic VFD with a warranty and support. They are not sealed but can be placed in a cabinet or use a shield to prevent swarf getting into the unit. The L-510 does not support an external braking resistor, but has an internal one which can provide some braking. To aggressive braking with a screw on chuck can be dangerous, so I would stay in the 3 second range and maybe a bit longer if higher speed unless you add a chuck lock.The Teco E-510 is a more full featured model that does support an external braking resistor and has more programmable inputs. The do make a sealed E-510 unit but adds about another $100. I find the Teco's to be a bit easier for people to program and use, and tend to be very good VFD's at the price point and features. These are sensorless vector drives so they will give a bit more consistent low speed operation, although with the stock motor I would limit the low speed to around 20-30 Hz due to cooling and decreasing Hp.

FWIW, mksj is the resident VFD guru. Do what he says. he must be sleeping at the switch. Normally expect expect him to chime in on VFD queries right away :)

And in an interesting turn of,events, the electrician came out yesterday to add a dozen new outlets to the shop and lo and behold, my existing 220v outlet is using 2 legs of 3 phase power. All for naught.

lathe will work today!

Back