1966 Model a 9 3 phase to single

Seth

Registered
Registered
Hello all, I have recently purchased a mid 60s model a with and under drive motor. It is a 1/2ho 230/460 3 phase unit which I would like to use on single phase 220. Can someone please point me in the right direction for a VFD or motor replacement?C2BCB38A-57CB-44D5-B03A-FE6F9C16127E.jpegD501AAA7-4302-4AE3-8312-AC98F9610CBF.jpeg

I've had good luck with this el-cheapo Chinese brand

Manual is written in chinglish - hard to understand. yep this one is way oversized, you could put a bigger motor in later if you need.

if you want top end, look to hitachi VFDs. There are other good ones.

I have to admit, I know almost nothing about a VFD and how it’s used. Can you give me the quick rundown for how to install it in line, and how to use it in practicality? I’d greatly appreciate your help.

Moreover, why not just get a 220v 1 phase motor?

I have a light 10 underdrive. I used a 3/4 hp single phase motor. It must be a 56 frame motor to mount up to the original bolt holes of your current motor, and 1725 rpm. Your plate shows FR 56, so 56 frame size. A 3 hp motor probably won't fit in an undermount cabinet. The 56 frame also means that it has the same shaft size, I believe 5/8. There are some short shaft 56 motors out there as well, .marked 56s. If you have a reversing drum switch, the wiring is a little tricky for a single phase. I think this is the link I used for a Cutler Hammer switch. Advantage of vfd is that you get variable speed.https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-hammer-drum-switch-motor-wiring-question.jpg

A single phase motor would be simpler to install. if it meets your needs you may want to go that way.

Biggest advantage of VFD is variable speed on the motor. Even if you have gear speed changes, you will LOVE this ability. This is certainly a more complex install. If you feel it will be over your head, you might want to get help.

To give better advice on how to do it yourself, tell me more about how this lathe works electrically. How does it go forward and reverse? is there an Estop? Motor contactor for the three phase motor? is it a gear change unit for speed changes?

maybe read this:

It’s only over my head today because its new to me. After I get into it, I’m sure I’ll manage.

Today is the first day I’ve had to focus on getting the lathe running. Thanks for the info.

I don’t have the information you asked on the switch. I didn’t have but a moment with it as the lathe was getting moved. I will learn tomorrow.

Hello and welcome:)

Your lathe should be fairly easy to convert to VFD and having the variable speed is definitely a nice feature. You will need a copy of the wiring diagram for your machine, or make one yourself (you'll need a multi-meter if you don't already have one). Then basically you hook the VFD to your single phase 220v on one side and directly to the motor on the other. Control functions are handled by the VFD and can either be hooked to existing switches on the lathe or an external control box.

The most important thing to understand is you cannot have any switches between the VFD and the motor. There are tons of great threads about how to wire one up on here and @mksj is the resident guru who's threads go into great detail about these systems.

Alternatively you could get a static phase converter like this

and just hook up the machine to it and use the controls as originally configured. I have both types of converters and either one will get you making chips, just takes a little more effort to wire in the VFD.

John

One other thing, supporting members have access to the Downloads section of this site. I just looked and there's like ten pages of downloads for South Bend machines. Well worth the $10 for silver member status, click on the Donations tab on the top of the page for more info.

John

So wrapping my head around the VFD IDEA. I put a start /stop switch in line with the incoming singple phase into the VFD. The fwd/rev switch is wired through the VFD, which then supplies power to the electric motor? Seems awfully simple. What and I missing???

Back