1966 colchester/clausing lathe taper attachment

Correction!!! you do not need to remove the nut in the centre of the hand wheel, the cross slide screw that comes with the taper attachment has a long spline so when you clamp the steady rod to the bed the taper turning attachment takes over the operation of the cross slide automatically. This illustrates the difference between information obtained from the manual, and information gained from actual use of a taper attachment! If anyone has a taper attachment for a roundhead Mk 1 student that they don't need, I would love it! Oh and while we are discussing hens teeth and rocking horse crap I also need a vertical head attachment for a Harrison horizontal milling machine...................... nobody got one? No neither have I :-(
Phil

Phil
The video that Lawrence posted is the only place that somewhat explained the Colchester taper attachment. I tried to do a search and never came up with anything. Its like somekind of mystery. I even asked on the Colchesters users group on Yahoo and was ignored! Colchester users are like members of a secret society!
george

Correction!!! you do not need to remove the nut in the centre of the hand wheel, the cross slide screw that comes with the taper attachment has a long spline so when you clamp the steady rod to the bed the taper turning attachment takes over the operation of the cross slide automatically. This illustrates the difference between information obtained from the manual, and information gained from actual use of a taper attachment! If anyone has a taper attachment for a roundhead Mk 1 student that they don't need, I would love it! Oh and while we are discussing hens teeth and rocking horse crap I also need a vertical head attachment for a Harrison horizontal milling machine...................... nobody got one? No neither have I :-(
Phil

Well I am on the Colchester user group so if they ignored you, shame on them! The problem is I had a very little experience on a TT on a colchester a long time ago, and my round head hasn't got one. The cross slide screw has a long spline which meshes with the hand wheel,when you wind the hand wheel it operates the cross slide as normal, and when you move the saddle longitudinally with the steady bar loose the taper turner slides up the bed, the cross slide does not move and the lathe turns parallel. when you clamp up the steady bar to the bed and move the saddle longitudinally the cross slide follows the angle set on the taper turner and the cross slide screw spline slides in the hand wheel and the lathe taper turns. Does that make any more sense? It is a hard concept to grasp, but I think the best way round the problem is for you to pack your taper turner in a box and send it to me so I can "check it is working" ;-)

Don't be afraid to keep asking till you get to grips with it, I am always ready to help anyone, as are many others on this and some other sites!

Phil,
East Yorkshire UK

Hi Phil,
I have had very good luck on the group. I even found parts for my Triumph on there. Great bunch of guys. My question was finally addressed on the group. It seems that the only way to keep undesirables off the board is to review all the posts. It seems to have a two day delay. Tough job for the moderators.
I am just glad that I found the bed way clamp on Ebay. It was like a miracle!
You explained the function very well.
I have another question for you that I will ask in a PM. I dont want the other members to think that I am totally clueless. These Colchesters are mysterious.
George

Well I am on the Colchester user group so if they ignored you, shame on them! The problem is I had a very little experience on a TT on a colchester a long time ago, and my round head hasn't got one. The cross slide screw has a long spline which meshes with the hand wheel,when you wind the hand wheel it operates the cross slide as normal, and when you move the saddle longitudinally with the steady bar loose the taper turner slides up the bed, the cross slide does not move and the lathe turns parallel. when you clamp up the steady bar to the bed and move the saddle longitudinally the cross slide follows the angle set on the taper turner and the cross slide screw spline slides in the hand wheel and the lathe taper turns. Does that make any more sense? It is a hard concept to grasp, but I think the best way round the problem is for you to pack your taper turner in a box and send it to me so I can "check it is working" ;-)

Don't be afraid to keep asking till you get to grips with it, I am always ready to help anyone, as are many others on this and some other sites!

Phil,
East Yorkshire UK

Hi Phil,
I have had very good luck on the group. I even found parts for my Triumph on there. Great bunch of guys. My question was finally addressed on the group. It seems that the only way to keep undesirables off the board is to review all the posts. It seems to have a two day delay. Tough job for the moderators.
I am just glad that I found the bed way clamp on Ebay. It was like a miracle!
You explained the function very well.
I have another question for you that I will ask in a PM. I dont want the other members to think that I am totally clueless. These Colchesters are mysterious.
George

George I would like to know as much about my stuff too....so if you have a questions I would like to hear them too...may help more of us....

we should feel very lucky as these Taper att systems are very expensive used! take good care of it..

while in the middle or getting closer to the end LOL Hendey Lathe renovation I realized how well and how thoughtful the tail stock is....so easy to offset and bring back into alignment all done with one square head bolt very very ingenious...esp for being designed in the early 1900's you can check it out on youtube..

Lawrence

Phil,
East Yorkshire UK

I also am on the colchester forum...I posted a few times with no responses ....I gave up on that forum!

Back