1966 colchester/clausing lathe taper attachment

Sk8ter

Active User
Registered
Hello I have a very nice machine its a 15X48 clausing colchester 1966 vintage with the taper att...

I have drawings etc..but there is no instructions on its use......what i am getting at is on these year lathes there is suppose to be some kind of mechanism that automatically releases the cross lead screw to follow the taper attachment etc....

do any of you good folks know exactly how this works?... or am i not understanding this right?

any help would be greatly appreciated

here is the manual

Attachments

• Colchester manual.zip
    11.6 MB · Views: 125
I could be wrong on this (I've been wrong in the past), but it looks like it has a spline on the cross feed screw (#16, page 55) to allow it to travel when the taper attachment is locked down. That's the way it works on my south bend, although instead of a spline it has a keyway in the screw. I would try locking the taper attachment and moving the saddle manually to see what happens. You will have to position the taper attachment so it has enough travel for the length of the taper you plan to cut. I'm sure a colchester owner will be along to give you a better answer. Good luck.

Chuck

Having had a Sheldon lathe in the past, I was also unsure of the Colchesters taper attachment. Thanks for posting.

Hi there,
You disconnect the cross slide screw from the hand wheel by removing the smaller of the two nuts (sometimes it's a bolt) in the centre of the cross slide hand wheel. Then you tighten the clamp on the steady rod to the bed, and you are ready to set up your taper. To go back to normal cross slide operation, reverse the procedure. Hope this helps
Phil
UK

Thank You Phil! I am in the process of making the clamping rod. It was missing from my taper attachment. Just one clarification. Is this the large bolt head that sits on top of the cross slide with the oiler in the center?
George

Sk8ter
That is exactly what I was looking for. It answers a lot of questions I had about the taper attachment. I am missing the lockdown bar and found the clamp end on ebay today! Just have to add the threaded bar. I am really surprised that my Colchester Triumph manual shows the attachment, but no instructions on how to use it.
Thanks for the link!!!
george

Sk8ter
That is exactly what I was looking for. It answers a lot of questions I had about the taper attachment. I am missing the lockdown bar and found the clamp end on ebay today! Just have to add the threaded bar. I am really surprised that my Colchester Triumph manual shows the attachment, but no instructions on how to use it.
Thanks for the link!!!
george

..I do lots of research on stuff but this is the only thing i came up with....but i still would like to understand how this works.....anyone?
my manual also shows the att but does not explain how to use it!! or its iner workings...

george you can make a threaded bar...you have a good lathe :) no need to find an original it just holds the base of the att from moving....it could even be aluminum no real stress there...
getter done!!!

Lawrence

Lawrence
I was setting up to make the whole thing. It would have been much simpler than the original but would have still worked. It was nice to find an original piece on Ebay that wasnt overly expensive.
How is the halfnut on your Colchester? Mine was totally missing and I had to make it from scratch. It works well though.
I have no idea on how the Colchester taper works, but as long as it does, I am good with that!
George

..I do lots of research on stuff but this is the only thing i came up with....but i still would like to understand how this works.....anyone?
my manual also shows the att but does not explain how to use it!! or its iner workings...

george you can make a threaded bar...you have a good lathe :) no need to find an original it just holds the base of the att from moving....it could even be aluminum no real stress there...
getter done!!!

Lawrence

Lawrence
I was setting up to make the whole thing. It would have been much simpler than the original but would have still worked. It was nice to find an original piece on Ebay that wasnt overly expensive.
How is the halfnut on your Colchester? Mine was totally missing and I had to make it from scratch. It works well though.
I have no idea on how the Colchester taper works, but as long as it does, I am good with that!
George

I have not taken the carriage off the lathe yet...but threading seems fine..I want to take the carriage off because there is no way wipers ...just want to make sure there is nothing there and then make some ...

tell me how hard was it to remove the carriage?

Lawrence

Back