1940 South Bend 11" 111B 105014 IQR Rebuild By Ulma Doctor

Well it's been too long since i laid hands on Henrietta's broken parts...
i started up the Biax again today in the company of a good friend, Bob Korves, in his shop today!!!
we had a lot of fun scraping away at metal.:D:D:D
i spent most of my time scraping on the compound rest where i had left off a long time ago.
it's like riding a bike really, i got right back into the zen-zone very easily!
i didn't take a lot of pictures, but here's where i ended up
it took roughly 30 cycles to gain any blue on the secondary lip.
she's coming around!!!
FullSizeRender.jpg

as always thanks to all who have read!
the thread is still alive!!!!!:D:D:D

This will be a great help to me! I have a '37 Quick Change 11"x54" and need lots of help and encouragement. I want to take off the bearing covers and take a look but I don't have any idea what felts and such to get for the whole lathe. I thought about getting a kit for the Heavy 10 but read somewhere they wouldn't all fit, maybe only half. I could use a push in that direction...

Hi mike , I noticed the half nut handle on Henrietta looked broken , if you need the handle / cam , pin
Let me know I may have one that fits , it's taking up space
Edit: just read where you found the handle

Last edited:
Mike, I just got my motor mounted. It's above the lathe. How can I determine the speed settings? I find them for everything but the 11" models. I will measure the diameter of each pulley. I'm ordering a cheap rpm meter also. Just wondering if there is any info about it.
The motor is 1 phase, 1750 rpm.
Dan

2016-06-22 08.47.25.jpg 2016-06-22 08.36.41.jpg

Last edited:
This will be a great help to me! I have a '37 Quick Change 11"x54" and need lots of help and encouragement. I want to take off the bearing covers and take a look but I don't have any idea what felts and such to get for the whole lathe. I thought about getting a kit for the Heavy 10 but read somewhere they wouldn't all fit, maybe only half. I could use a push in that direction...
Hi mariner,
than you for reading.
i'm faced with the same problem, i'm not sure what felt kit to get myself.
i had made the same consideration to buy the heavy 10 felt kit, i know that the saddle felt retainers are different between the 10" and 11" lathes.
i'm also considering buying felt stock from McMaster-Carr as well as the 13" sb kit.
it may not be right either, but i'd rather have felt too long, than too short.
i'm sure there may be issues that way too

Hi mike , I noticed the half nut handle on Henrietta looked broken , if you need the handle / cam , pin
Let me know I may have one that fits , it's taking up space
Edit: just read where you found the handle
Thanks Derrick for the offer!
i bought a new old stock handle a while back, it's still sitting, waiting to be used....
i gotta finish some scraping before assembly.

Mike, I just got my motor mounted. It's above the lathe. How can I determine the speed settings? I find them for everything but the 11" models. I will measure the diameter of each pulley. I'm ordering a cheap rpm meter also. Just wondering if there is any info about it.
The motor is 1 phase, 1750 rpm.
Dan

Looks Great Dan!

the factory spindle speeds are 40, 69, 118, 238, 377, 608
the nominal RPM is 1725 on the OEM motor.

I measured my spindle speeds and came up with 740, 485, 317 and 125, 81, 53. That was measured at the 3 jaw chuck....

Mike,

Just wondering if this restoration ever got completed? I was really enjoying this thread and NEED TO SEE PICS OF IT FINISHED!!!!!! It's a great motivator showing what can be accomplished when one sets their mind to it and I can't wait to see Henrietta running again.

AWESOME work so far!

If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious where you found those graphite carbon rods you're using as electrodes in your electrolysis setup? Do you remember what size they were or exactly what you ordered? If you wouldn't mind sharing I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve
Thank you for your interest and your kind words. I really do appreciate it!!

No sir , the project has slowly continued.
I have some pictures of some of the completed work to date. I just have not posted the slow progress
I'll be sure to share the information.

As far as the carbon anodes, i found them on ebay
They are 5/8" diameter X 18" long
100% graphite
They were about $20 each if i remember correctly
If i can find a link i'll send a message

Pictures to be posted soon!

Back