1914. ? Model E South Bend lathe Questions

Now if you would enlighten me what is the " O Series Machine). I ask because I have not heard of that.
"Just because YOU haven't heard of something, or seen something does not mean it didn't, or doesn't exist." Sound familiar? It should, because it is an EXACT quote of what YOU said. "Politically correct"? What was "PC" about correcting your STATED model number? I asked where you got that model from, because it was possible that a Model E DID exist at sometime and I didn't know about it.

Hello to all.
As I stated when I made the first post I came here asking respectfully about this old south bend.
And you were treated with respect. Questions about your facts are entirely legitimate. The serial number is the key piece of info in determining the year of sale. It looks like the Model 37 15" Series O machines were produced from approximately 1914 to 1925 or so. Since the Series O machines were produced into the mid 1930's, it's possible that your model could have been produced at anytime during a 20+ year span. But, IMO, the actual year of manufacture isn't really all that important.

For the earlier lathes, SB often had the date cast into the inside of the from bed way (it would be a "date of cast" and not the date of sale, since the large castings were often set aside for a year or more to let the stresses of casting work themselves out).

As of today it is a sand blasted elderly lady, looking for a fresh coat of Make up, or war paint, whichever you prefer. While cleaning ,on the tailstock, there is a #15 in the casting, does that possibly indicate the year, or maybe to indicate the swing above the ways...
The "15" would indicate the swing of the lathe that this tailstock would fit.

So for your information YES it did happen.
Hey, we're a picture loving group. We often say that without pictures, what you are saying isn't true! It's not an attack, but more of an inside joke. Don't be offended if you are asked for pictures.

Could be that we got off to a bad start from the git go.. I do not mind someone questioning the given information, as for your insider habits, or statements, all is well and good for those in the loop. IMO the original answers could have been better handled by asking for more information, instead of a blanket statement that it did not happen.

So my bad for not reviewing my data from 3 yrs ago. I've slept a time or two since then. Again thanks for the information.

We had one of these, ours was 1919 or so.

Model O if I recall.

Great lathe, made some good stuff with it.

Sold it what we got our SB 14.5.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I have a 1916 13”
with “O” apron
a wonderful machine still works great.
i have worn out the worm and gear in the apron
a very slow rework project as I don’t have access to another lathe to recut the gear (ACME 5 thread 1 1/2” dia).

I have a 1916 13”
with “O” apron
a wonderful machine still works great.
i have worn out the worm and gear in the apron
a very slow rework project as I don’t have access to another lathe to recut the gear (ACME 5 thread 1 1/2” dia).

Sometimes we have to resort to another machine shop to help us out. Hope you can get that Elderly lady working again.
Good luck

Hello to All:)
Spent the afternoon cleaning up the backside of the carriage apron. No big surprises, all the gears in reasonably good condition, no sharp edges on any of the teeth, all appear to be evenly worn. Did find one of the oil tubes cracked and bent. Can be easily fixed. All of the oil ports are open.

This brings me to another question. I know the old lathes just used 20/ 30 weight machine oil . Does anyone have experience using anything else to lubricate the gears and mechanisms behind the apron. Something thin enough to pass thru the oil ports and tubes , that will stay in the proper locations, and not drip out like the old Harleys used to.

Thank you.!:encourage:

This brings me to another question. I know the old lathes just used 20/ 30 weight machine oil . Does anyone have experience using anything else to lubricate the gears and mechanisms behind the apron. Something thin enough to pass thru the oil ports and tubes , that will stay in the proper locations, and not drip out like the old Harleys used to.

Use only what was recommended. The recommended oil is thin enough to drip off, carrying any swarf that happens to impact the area. Thicker lubes will grab onto any swarf and hold on to it, possibly causing jamming and even damage. The common mistaken belief that "no swarf can ever get into there..." will always get the believer into trouble. All one has to do to disprove that belief is to disassemble a lathe and marvel at the load of swarf that got into impossible places.

Hello to all.
Wanted to share updated photos of the escapee from a welding, and small machine shop, nobody wanted it , could not see it going to salvage, so it followed me home. Has been stripped down to the lathe bed, pressure washed, sandblasted with fine coal slag media, cleaned, preped with acetone, fresh coat of makeup and reassembled.

Didnt turn out to bad, will now be gently used, rather than major abused as in past history .

Bill

Attachments

• 20221124_203250.jpg
    20221124_203250.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221124_203224.jpg
    20221124_203224.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221124_203337.jpg
    20221124_203337.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20221230_161249.jpg
    20221230_161249.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20221230_161236.jpg
    20221230_161236.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221230_161210.jpg
    20221230_161210.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221230_161154-1.jpg
    20221230_161154-1.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 19
Lathe looks really Good! Looks like a reverse repulsion motor. GREAT! Do you have change gears? On my old SB9 JR., I thought about putting a sewing machine motor, (variable speed), on the tailstock end of the lead screw for power feed. Don‘t have gears for that one, just like it’s robust build over my SB9 UMD w/ QCGB.

Nicely done! Hopefully it still has tight enough tolerances to be useful.
A less than perfect lathe beats lathe-less any day of the week.

Back