1914. ? Model E South Bend lathe Questions

Nicely done! Hopefully it still has tight enough tolerances to be useful.
A less than perfect lathe beats lathe-less any day of the week.
It is more so the “operator” than the machine that determines the “tight enough tolerances” IMHO.

Lathe looks really Good! Looks like a reverse repulsion motor. GREAT! Do you have change gears? On my old SB9 JR., I thought about putting a sewing machine motor, (variable speed), on the tailstock end of the lead screw for power feed. Don‘t have gears for that one, just like it’s robust build over my SB9 UMD w/ QCGB.

Yes sir, I have a complete set of change gears, dont think they have been used very much. The entire lathe was kind of repulsive. ( many hours cleaning).
If you would sir tell me about a reverse repulsion motor.
I am waiting for the electrician to wire in my 220 3 phase for the lathe, a small mill, an old Camel back drill press, and a 20 in. disc sander.

Thank you.
Bill

As OT said tolerance is dependent on the operator. The cross feed acme thread, and the nuts were changed out, at some time.
Not just a lot of backlash anywhere, at least considering the age. Will still hold good tolerance.

Need to locate some 1/8 pipe thread spring cap oilers.

Thanks guys.
Bill

As was explained to me “ it is a motor within a motor with high starting torque“. Then switches over to run mode. My 16” has one on it. Had it gone through in 1994 when I got the lathe. Still runs great, 1ph 220V. Draws about 15A on start up and has the power of about 10hp.
But then you said 3ph, so probably not one.

Thank you.
I believe that is the motor that was put on by the original owner. Motor has small oil reservoirs on each side that the motor bearings run in.
What oil was in them was gummy, took a little effort to flush everything out.

Anxious to hear it run again , this time with the rubber belt, no more clickety clack from the leather belt.

Bill

The oil reservoirs are the same as on mine. I used to spend some time at Lake Milford. Great place!

Back