1640hd Has Arrived

Got the lathe off the pallet and leveled over the weekend. Turned down some 2" 1018 rod to make some test cuts. Then played around with some other "unknown" steel. Turned out to be some induction hardened rod. All in all the machine didn't have any problems making a few heavy cuts. Still letting everything get broke in before I get too carried away.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Keep flashing up those pictures. Before we know it, Coolidge will be reaching for his credit card! Yes, it is made in China, and I know you swore off China, but I few more photos and you might have a relapse! Coolidge, you there?

Haha yes it is made in China. But the only thing I have found that the only thing thus far lacking on the lathe is the quality of the paint job.

With cuts/finish like that I don't give a damn where it's made. :)

Bad a$$ lathe. Really liking that beast. Whats the spindle bore size?

Awesome machine, my 1440 looks like a baby by comparison.
Simply impressive!

Haha yea when you step up to this size there is a big jump there. Which model is your 1440? I know there are several.
Awesome machine, my 1440 looks like a baby by comparison.
Simply impressive!

It's a Birmingham YCL-1440GH and weighs 1/2 of your monster. She's been in service since 2001 and recently got a complete electrical/electronic "smart lathe" makeover with the help of mksj. I use CXA size tooling with excellent results and she's never stalled during heavy cuts. Your machine is a brute on steroids for being on size up. The only complaint I have with my lathe is the spindle bore size of 1.5".
IMG_1481.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back