1640hd Has Arrived

I looked for a PBA combo, as I thought it would definately be nice to have but never found one offered anywhere. But I was looking for these little wimpy 8" chucks. :D

It's just some 2" 1018 I had laying around.

Thanks. Reason I asked is I like to run most of my work above 1k rpm and keep getting 'told' that my speeds are too high. And that you can't sneak up on a dimension. And carbide can't take light cuts, blah, blah, blah... So I always ask when I see guys running similar speeds/feeds. :)

My understanding is that carbide likes high speeds. Hence all your Cnc machines turning a few thousand rpm use carbide tools/inserts. Now certain style inserts like a cnmg like a heavier cut. Also chip breakers and lead angles start coming into effect. But this tnmg tool seems to not mind either way. The inserts are some NOS teledyne.

Yea, my understanding of carbide inserts is severely lacking to say the least. Even though that's all I use. I need to work on this.

Cool. Thanks!

(Oops...looks like windows only. Mac guy here)

Yea same here I can't stand Windows. I have it downloaded on the shop laptop ( Hewlett crapard) only reason we have it is for diagnostic software. I'll see if I can find the link to that book. It's free and about 3 inches of very helpful information.

For a large lathe there is no law preventing you from mounting a smaller chuck on the appropriate back plate to keep the weight to a manageable scale.
True, although since it is probably a D1-6 spindle, you won't find a direct mount chuck smaller than 8". You can mount a smaller chuck on a backplate, but again, the smallest backplate you can get is going to be 8". You can turn that down a bit (to 7-1/8") to match the spindle, and maybe turn it at an angle to match the chuck diameter (I have a 5" 5C D1-5 chuck mounted like that).

Last edited:
Back