150 Viscosity Oil for the SB

Doing a search,I see that the local Tractor Supply has the oil also
upload_2017-2-28_18-34-51.png

Hi guys, yes I've noticed some problems in the last few weeks with this weight oil. It's definitely a summer weight oil. What happens with the SB Fourteen I recently bought, is that the transmission doesn't turn over very well until the oil heats up from running ... causing the three phase motor to lug down and drop a phase .... smoking like Hxll. This at temps around 35* F in the morning. To mitigate, I've taken to starting the lathe in low gear, in neutral, so no load on the spindle. Run a few minutes, then restart in low. Once warmed up, then I switch to higher gears for 400RPM and above to use carbide tooling.

I've looked for Mobil and Shell. They don't have much distribution around my area, and I can't find them in small quantities. so just use the Napa Brand mineral oil.

Mike, If you are sure your gear boxes have brass/bronze in the gear box, then the GL 1 lube oils are your best bet. Wouldn't hurt to explore GL 2, 3, or 4 either, as these lubes have slightly increased formulations and are designed to service specific generations of more recent engines and transmissions. I am not very knowledgeable about modern small engine lubes. So possibly, what Fixnair said above about modern lubes would be better for your tractor. Compare to what the manufacturer specifies and pick the formulation most closely suited... The more recent formulations have additives that, while harmful to yellow metals in old gear boxes, the newer gear boxes aren't made with these metals anymore, so there is no harm using GL rated 3,4, or maybe 5 rated oils. Also These newer oils have antimfoaming, and anti rust additives, and often are multi viscosity, so work well with a wider range of operating conditions.

Glenn

Last edited:
Back