14x40 lathe clutch issue?

I'm wondering about what's involved removing the power feed rod. There is a vertical bearing block on tailstock end. It has bearings on the RHS for each of 3 rods that terminate there. It kind of appears like I could loosen the bolts that secure block to main way casting & slide it off to the right exposing the rod ends? Then pull the power feed bar through the carriage? Its basically a round rod with a continuous keyway milled in that I guess engages the feed assembly inside the carriage. Or would that be dicey threading the needle back into the carriage again? Anyone come across a teardown /disassembly link for lathes like this?

Make sure the keyway goes all the way through to the headstock end. some lathes are designed to free the feed rod, lead screw, and start selector shaft from their couplings, and remove them with the Apron. Other than that, I'd say you're on the right track.
BTW, that ball clutch is pretty forgiving as far as adjustment, as long as you don't fully lock it up. Sometimes, I think the shear pins were a better idea.

I can already see compression spring hunting is going to be fun. Its not a very common combination. The dimensions are
OD=0.245", Wire Diameter= 0.047", Free Length = 0.64", Coils ~9. In metric that's about OD=6mm, WD=1.2mm, L=16mm.
Ideally would prefer longer length for me to free cut. This assumes they are not over-sprung or distorted.
Found something close on Ali. I wonder if trying to source form similar other lathe brand assuming they use same ones - but who knows what kind of stock?

Some pics. You can see
- bronze bushing in the casting case I was mentioning
- the V-groove in clutch assembly
- cross hole in the power feed rod with temporary cap screw replacing roll pin. Was drilled non-perpendicular but not sure if that's jus an irritant vs. affecting fit up.

IMG_5850_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5848_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5846_edited-1.jpg

Has anyone had their power feed bar disassembled relating to what I think is a bronze spacer bushing? (=orange arrow). I can see it will rotate a smidge when under power. I mistook this for a bad sign assuming it was a permanent bushing in the headstock casting that should be staionary. But now I think its just a simple spacer washer? Which now has me wondering if it has worn slightly maybe that is the root issue. Maybe that affects the way the clutch body is positioned. But OTOH, the springs are supposed to compensate distance. Unless the springs still somehow out of range...

Having a tough time locating springs. Might try local machinery supplier & cross my fingers their (somewhat similar Chinese 14x40 lathe) clutch springs are generically the same.

2017-03-18_11-41-19.jpg

2017-03-18_11-39-57.jpg

Back