1440 Lubrication

if you use a turbine quality R&O 68 oil,you will be ok,except possibly where there are freezing temperatures,where a 32 may be better.......the R&O stands for "rust and oxidation"(of the oil),and is generally a water shedding oil.....so condensation should end up in the bottom of the head,not circulated into roller bearings.....Dont use motor oil....it emulsifies dirt and water,and has very little actual lubricating value.

Below is the response I received for Eisen Machinery who supplied the machine;

Mobil DTE Oil Light is formulated from high quality base stocks and a proprietary additive system to provide superior protection against rust, excellent resistance to oxidation and thermal degradation, and a high level of protection against wear, plus excellent resistance to high temperature corrosion of soft ...

Mobil Vactra Oil No. 2 is recommended for horizontal slideways on small to medium size machine tools. They are also suitable for circulating application in large machines and as a moderate duty hydraulic fluid

You can use DTE Light for headstock and gearbox.

For way oil the recommended oil is Mobil Vactra #2.

Sincerely Yours,
Jason
EISEN Machinery Inc.

www.EisenM.com

I’m going to change the oil in my headstock and gear box.
This three year old thread is relating to the same old question, best replacement oil for Shell Tonna 27.
When I bought my Clausing Colchester (made in Colchester England in 1974) I searched fir the best oil.
I was reluctant to use the standard ISO 32 hydraulic oil considering the spindle bearings.
I found Mobil DTE 24 light for $32 a gallon on Amazon Prime.
The manual says to replace this oil once a year but I would assume this applies to machines that run daily, all day long.
As a hobby guy, my lathe may run two to three hours a week.

This is just information I thought I would pass on.

Back
Top Bottom