1440 Lubrication

Lucky Liverider

Registered
Registered
Hey all

Been looking through past posts from other members regarding lubrication recommendations for my 1440 gear-head lathe. My manual states Chevron AIO #68 in the head stock and gearbox with Chevron AIO #32 in the apron. In both circumstances adjacent to the listed lubrication in parentheses there is a note “hydraulic oil”. After doing my own research I found that the "AIO" is an acronym for "Authentic Industrial Oils"; that really got me nowhere until I found the attached “Eco Lubricants Table of Equivalents”.

I’ve read multiple posts regarding the use on DTE Heavy Medium as an alternative or replacement for the factory installed lubricant however the table states this product is a turbine oil with a much lower Viscosity Index rating at 95 compared to the Mobil hydraulic oil DTE 10 Excel 68 with Viscosity Index rating at 156. See below link for more information on the Viscosity Index

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28956/lubricant-viscosity-index

The DTE Heavy Medium seems to be more available and in smaller quantities than the DTE 10 Excel however it is available in a 5 gallon bucket and it has a long shelf life. Unlike the DTE Heavy Medium the DTE 10 Excel has no rust inhibitor but with enclosed gears and being splash lubricated is that really a down side?

Wanting to keep with the manufactures recommendation, I see on the table the equal to Mobil DTE 10 Excel 68 would be Chevron Rando HDZ 68. The Chevron product has an index rating of 154 however it does have a rust inhibitor unlike the Mobil DTE 10. Its also available in 5 gallon buckets and its $50 cheaper than Mobil product. Is anyone familiar with this product?

See all attachments

…Comments please

Attachments

• Chevron Rando HDZ 68.pdf
    665.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DTE 10 Excel.pdf
    111.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DTE Heavy Medium.pdf
    117.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Eco-Equivalency-Chart.pdf
    239.1 KB · Views: 1
Mills and laths tend to operate within a narrow temperature range as opposed combustion engines and motor transmissions, so you are primarily concerned with the viscosity properties at the lower temperature point around 40C. You also do not need a multi-viscosity designed to operate over a wide temperature. IF you were in a very cold climate you may opt for a thinner viscosity, and conversely a slighter higher viscosity in very hot regions. You need an oil suitable for the duty/type of gears, type of lubrication system splash vs. pressurized, and the type of materials in the gearbox. So in general for the lathe, just about any type of circulating/hydraulic/gear oil will work given that it conforms to the viscosity parameters specified. There is no need for a particular brand, as long as they share the same general specifications. The exception would be combustion engines, specialized gearboxes, car transmissions, differentials and such that often have a completely different set of operating parameters. As far as the additive packs, you do not want to use extreme pressure additives as they have the potential to damage yellow metals, most of these oils have other additives such as rust inhibitors, stabilizers, etc.

So for your basic gear head lathe or mill no need to get fancy with the oils. That being said, it would appear that you have the viscosity (ISO) for numbers reversed from conventional lathes, Typically the headstock is an ISO32 (some cases ISO46) and the gearbox/carriage are ISO68. The reason is the headstock gears spin at much higher speeds, a higher viscosity can create too much drag on the gears and also does not flow as well to the bearings through the splash lubrication channels. You might provide further details on the lathe as to the brand and model. The gearbox and carriage are almost always ISO68, the carriage in some cases will specify a way oil if it has a pump system for the carriage ways. My lathe has a way pump, and I use Vacuoline 1409 in the carriage, which is an ISO 68 way oil also suitable for gear drives.

Mobil is probably the most frequently mentioned and used gear/oil in lathes mentioned in this forum. The DTE series which are the named series such as DTE Light (ISO32), DTE Heavy/Medium (ISO68) or the circulating gear oils; or the Mobile DTE 20 series circulating hydraulic oils DTE 24 being an ISO32 and DTE 26 being an ISO68. Either is suitable for the lathe application, along with the equivalents by other oil producers. Other commonly available oil would be from Chevron and Shell. Often you will find manuals that reference older oils that are no longer available by that brand name, so you need to look at the type of application and the specified oil properties and use a modern equivalent. In this application, for the most part it doesn't matter who makes it.

Thanks mksj,

below is a photo of my lube specs, I had to check myself to make sure i posted that right, it does ISO 68 in both the headstock and gearbox with 32 in the apron. The lathe is an Eisen 1440E, same factory the PM1440gt comes from.

I'm in the same climate the machine came from in California

my PM 727v lists the following in its manual so i ended up using 80w90 gear oil.. um using it in the head and on the ways

Gearbox: ISO 68, such as SAE 80W90 auto gear oil, or Mobil DTE Heavy/Medium circulating oil (about 2 qts.)
Ball oilers: ISO 68 oil, such as Mobil Vactra No. 2, or equivalent
X, Y and Z axis ways (dovetails): ISO 68 oil, such as Mobil Vactra No. 2
Quill rack and pinion, Z-axis gears: light general purpose grease, NLGI No. 2, or equivalent
X and Y leadscrews: ISO 68 oil, such as Mobil Vactra No. 2, or equivalent
Z leadscrew: ISO 68 oil or NLGI No. 2 grease

There seems to be no consistency with regards to gearhead lathe lube specifications, Kent 1440 calls for 68/68/68, (head, gear box, apron); Jet 1440 VS 32/32/68, Grizzly GO709 32/68/68

Last edited:
not to hijack the thread but i am thinking of taking the factory oil from my head (changed it after a couple hours run time per recommendations), running it through a magnet and paint filter then using it as way oil. any reason not too?

For Hobby kinds of use where the machine is NOT used continuously over the entire day, It basically does not mater that much.
When the machine is used 24/7/365 it maters.
When a machine is used 1/.3/50 it doesn't mater. {1 hour, twice a week}

I have an Eisen 1440 ge. Same factory and looks like the same manual. Give Jason a call to be sure but I use mobil dte light everywhere but the ways which gets vactra #2. I live in a climate that gets far below freezing in the winter.
I d give Jason a call to be sure. He is the most knowledgeable salesman I have ever come across.

Back