14" Delta/Rockwell Band Saw

Thanks for the comments!

Matt, needed the 20:1 reducer because a cone pulley was still way to fast, Like 20 times to fast!

Todd, I didn't really make good drawings, just figured out clearances for the bearings on the computer with centers drawn in.
I own 2 of these saws and never liked the cool blocks. My second one is at my camp in Vermont, left that original (wood cutting), it doesn't get used as much. In my furniture making shop I have a 20" Powermatic with Carter guides, these were "loosely" made like those.

Larry

Got some more 3/4" aluminum for the remaining pulleys. Finished the 3 pulleys that are mounted on the speed reducer. The diameters are 2.625", 3.5" and 5.875". They make up what could be considered a "cone pulley" but they are custom sized. I have 1 top pulley made which is 7.875" dia. This gives me a slowest speed of 103 sfpm. Still 2 more to make for the top.

complete pulley.JPGpulley in place.JPGpulley 2.JPG

complete pulley.JPG pulley in place.JPG pulley 2.JPG pulley 1.JPG

Top pulley is done for speeds of 103 sfpm, 155 sfpm and 250 sfpm.
Runs nice and smooth!

Top Pulley.JPGPulley Installed.JPG

Top Pulley.JPG Pulley Installed.JPG

I bought an older model 14" Delta/Rockwell wood cutting band saw and will be converting it to metal cutting. The bottom guides were frozen up, I didn't even bother to try and fix them. Instead I made new heavy duty Carter type guides, adjustable in all directions with offset cams. These guides were more work than I expected, and took more time than I thought they would.

The old top guides are in decent condition, and useable, but I will make a new set for the top as well.

Next however, I need to deal with the speed conversion. If anyone has a source for a 40:1 or 50:1 gear reduction, I am looking to buy one. Will start searching ebay.
Thanks for looking, more to come.
Larry

View attachment 66045View attachment 66047View attachment 66048

Larry, how about installing a Variable speed motor. Should be easier and maybe the same cost.
mike

Well, that was a possibility, I even have a variable speed DC motor here in the shop. I am told that at low speeds there is a problem with torque. That is one reason I went with the speed reducer. No question the route I took was more work, but some of that is for the learning experience. I am happy with the results.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Still a few small things to get done for this project.
Larry

Back