14" Delta/Rockwell Band Saw

LJP

Active User
Registered
I bought an older model 14" Delta/Rockwell wood cutting band saw and will be converting it to metal cutting. The bottom guides were frozen up, I didn't even bother to try and fix them. Instead I made new heavy duty Carter type guides, adjustable in all directions with offset cams. These guides were more work than I expected, and took more time than I thought they would.

The old top guides are in decent condition, and useable, but I will make a new set for the top as well.

Next however, I need to deal with the speed conversion. If anyone has a source for a 40:1 or 50:1 gear reduction, I am looking to buy one. Will start searching ebay.
Thanks for looking, more to come.
Larry

Old guide.JPGGuide in place 1.JPGGuide in place.JPG

Old guide.JPG New guide.JPG Guide in place 1.JPG Guide in place.JPG

Re: 14" Delta/Rockwell Band Saw

Made a new set of top guides for the bandsaw. I used the existing hex shaft that the old guide was hung on and reused the old blade guard, but everything else is new. I made everything adjustable relative to the blade, with the bearings on eccentric cams.

Parts.JPGBearings.JPGT

- - - Updated - - -

With everything in place, the saw runs very smoothly. Next will be the speed reduction. I will be using a 20:1 ratio gear reducer to get speeds of 100 sfpm for steel and 250 sfpm for aluminum.

Guard.JPGLeft.JPGTop Guide.JPG

Parts.JPG Bearings.JPG Guard.JPG Left.JPG Top Guide.JPG

Real ice job. I would like to do that to my home made 12-inch band saw and my 14-inch Taiwan saw as well. Did you work from plans or come up with the design yourself?

Paul

Paul, I came up with dimensions myself, trying to keep everything as small as possible. It starts to become a problem with intersecting screws holding things together. You can see some of my drawings in the pictures, that I used to figure out clearances. I see we live about 20 minutes apart, you are welcome to take a closer look, if you like.
Larry

Larry, thanks for the invite maybe sometime I'll take you up on it. Again great job.

Paul

I got the 20:1 speed reducer, found new online for $99.00. I decided to mount the motor on top of the speed reducer with 2" pulleys on each. This means a 1725 rpm motor will produce 86.25 rpm coming out of the reducer.

Both the motor and reducer together will pivot off the bandsaw stand to tension the belt up to the bandsaw wheel. Still need to make the pivot and the custom size pulleys.

20 to 1.JPGMotor Mount.JPGIn place.JPG

20 to 1.JPG Motor Mount.JPG In place.JPG

This past weekend I made a new pulley out of a round of 8620 steel. I extended the pulley like a collar, so I can mount 2 more custom made pulleys I will make from 3/4" aluminum, because they will be larger diameter. The 2.625" dia pulley gives me about 100 sfpm.
I wanted a keyway, but do not have a broach or arbor press (yet). I set up on the mill and plunged a 3/16" endmill in as deep as it would go. I then notched out the key. It is better than nothing, the 1/4-20 setscrew presses against it. The 3rd picture shows everything in place, still need to make everything pivot and tension the belt.

Keyway.JPGCollar.JPGBelt and pulley.JPG

Keyway.JPG Collar.JPG Belt and pulley.JPG

Paul, I came up with dimensions myself, trying to keep everything as small as possible. It starts to become a problem with intersecting screws holding things together. You can see some of my drawings in the pictures, that I used to figure out clearances. I see we live about 20 minutes apart, you are welcome to take a closer look, if you like.
Larry

Nice job on the saw I've got the same saw I ran a jack-shaft with with a double ended motor. With the jack-shaft for steel and straight for wood. Now I've remove all of that and put a 1hp 3ph motor from my surface grinder with a VFD and it works super I can vary the speed any place I need it.
Did you by chance make prints of your guide revision? I'd like to do the same to mine the cool blocks wear to much when cutting metal. I'll post some pics late today if I can.

Todd

wow, those blade guides are things of beauty! I had to make a couple of back guides for my CL benchtop bandsaw and even that was a ton of work. Pales in comparison to this though.

Quick Q - why use a speed reduced instead of a 3 pulley set up, just out of curiosity? Simpler, few parasitic losses, ?

Back