1340gt order dilemma

got a question about the Eisen 1440E.. I see it's a 2 speed motor. I think single phase...
Does it have back gears, or does it rely on the 2 speed motor for it's low end? Back gears are very useful for torque.. if you don't have back gears, is there a good amount of torque from the low end motor?
You may notice that there are different Eisen 1440E's on their website. It is confusing as heck. Mine is a 3 phase motor, single-phase-in, single-speed motor with a VFD that is not usable in the way most people use their VFD's on a lathe. The only thing my VFD does is convert the single phase to 3 phase.

If you go to their page Eisen Engine Lathes my lathe is the first one in the second row. Sold out of course. Super happy I bought mine when I did.

ACRA has a 1340 model listed, you might see if it's in stock, a little more pricy though. Check with Mark, or if anyone else has input on that one.

I'd have a hard time with that much of a wait. Especially with no guarantee that the wait time is accurate. Do you have a budget?

@Ischgl99 I've never heard of eisen, ill give them a call tomorrow. I would love to pick one up local but I live in Alaska and machines that are both not completely worn out or a 16" swing 8' bed engine lathe are hard to come by. I just saw a beat up 1940s heavy 10 sell for 4k a few weeks ago. its nuts up here. I wanted to avoid china but a large portion of even PMs product line is china so I'm not dead set against it.

@mksj Thanks for your input, I was just drooling over your VFD conversion thread. I have the 3 phase 1340 on order as the plan was to VFD it. I don't really need the extra swing but I'm planning on chambering barrels for big bore ELR guns and that 2" spindle bore makes that really easy. I talked to grizzly today and they have 2 shipments incoming, March 9 all sold, and a week later that has available machines on it. and my local distributor isn't charging me shipping to get it up here, which is almost 1000. I called PM to see if anything other machines were available sooner and I got a flat no so at this point grizzly is looking promising but you're right, that many change gears is 100% not ideal.
I didn’t notice the Alaska part when I replied, that can certainly make finding something used difficult.

For rifle barrels, the 12x36 would be identical to the 13x40 if you are chambering in the spindle, the spindle bores and lengths are the same. If you are profiling, then the extra few inches might come in handy. I was initially on the fence between the 1236T and the 1340GT and ended up getting the 1236 since it was in stock and the 1340 wasn’t, and I didn’t feel the 1340 had enough of an advantage for my uses to pay more and wait for a shipment. I was lucky I bought in Nov 2020 before most of the price increases. I think it is $1,500 more now than what I paid.

I looked at Eisen as well when I was researching mine, the 12” lathes look identical to the PM 1236T, even down to the switches on the controls. I don’t recall what accessories are included in theirs, but I would not hesitate buying that lathe if the size fits for your uses.

Good luck in your search, hopefully something comes available soon so you can get on using it.

I looked at Eisen as well when I was researching mine, the 12” lathes look identical to the PM 1236T, even down to the switches on the controls. I don’t recall what accessories are included in theirs, but I would not hesitate buying that lathe if the size fits for your uses.
I bought an Eisen 1340GHE and it was just like the Precision Mathews PM1340GT except it had an enclosed gearbox which I liked. It came with a DRO but not the best model out there. Eisen has their 1340 on Ebay but it's single phase.

Last edited:
EISEN 1340GHE Precision Bench Lathe with DRO & Stand, 1.5HP single-phase 220V, price is 7,750. If you call direct you can usually do a bit better than eBay pricing and/or may have other build specs. Some of their models are not listed on their website. If one wanted to go three phase, finding a replacement motor probably will run you around $500. Also factor in getting a VFD and associated parts for a basic install.

Possible 3 phase motors

I've really wanted to upgrade my 1340GT to that one but I don't think I'll ever be able to do it unless the price of mine has gone up commensurate with that!

The lead times are crazy on these, we literally have hundreds of the Taiwan made lathes on backorder right now. They are coming in and shipping out regularly now, but the backorder list just keeps growing. There is really no comparison between the Chinese vs Taiwan that we have. The Chinese are OK, but not the same. If you wanted a Chinese lathe we have the 1440E-LB coming in again in a couple weeks, we have had many of those without too long of a lead time, its only our Taiwan made models that have the lead time like that. I tried to order 3 times as many as we have in the past, but the factory just will not take the order, they can't produce any more than they do now. There was a definite slow down of production during corona, things are getting back to normal now, but we just can not keep up with the demand on them.

Back