13 tpi

Did you use/buy the PCBs and the software from him?
Clough has a list of all the components in one of the later video. He also has a project on GitHub.

Basically, it required a stepper or servo motor and driver, a rotary encoder, a display pcb, and a micro controller, power supply, and some mechanicals; all off the shelf. There was one pcb that I bought from him for a round $20 shipped. My total cost was something like $230, using all new components except for the power supply for the motor/driver. Adding the power supply would have increased the cost to $270.

If you search on this forum for Clough42 and electronic lead screw, there are a couple of very long threads on the subject.

Clough has a list of all the components in one of the later video. He also has a project on GitHub.

Basically, it required a stepper or servo motor and driver, a rotary encoder, a display pcb, and a micro controller, power supply, and some mechanicals; all off the shelf. There was one pcb that I bought from him for a round $20 shipped. My total cost was something like $230, using all new components except for the power supply for the motor/driver. Adding the power supply would have increased the cost to $270.

If you search on this forum for Clough42 and electronic lead screw, there are a couple of very long threads on the subject.

That is really cool RJ. THank you for sharing that. Ugghhhh though, now another project on my list. ;)

That is really cool RJ. THank you for sharing that. Ugghhhh though, now another project on my list. ;)
It has been a few months since I last checked on the ongoing project. ne improvement that I would like to see in the Clough42 project is the ability to enter any desired thread pitch rather than selecting one from the list. Fortunately, the design is such that software updates can easily be loaded into the microprossesor if/when this should happen. Another option would be if I bucklesd down and rewrote the source code myself. Not an insignificant task for me.

The Rocketronics ELS is definitely more versatile, providing both x and z synchronized movement. It is also considerably more expensive at $300-$600 more than a Clough42 system. However, the integral DRO is a nice feature which will offset the additional cost by $200 - $400 and there is merit in having a pre-assembled control.

You are starting to get up to the cost a full CNC system though and being able to write custom machining programs would be an added feature.

I'm using the clough42 ELS. It's been a very worthwhile upgrade. I did buy his PCB. But I could have easily made my own board. You do have to make mounts and such to fit your lathe though.

It could be expanded to CNC, but I don't want to go there right now, maybe ever.

I've always thought that 13TPI was a bit odd. I don't really understand why there are so many thread pitches. :)

Mikey, I have always wondered this, what does a machinist use a Diametral or Modular pitch "thread" for? Only thing I came up with was making gear cutting hobs but I don't even know if that is correct.
Cutting worm gears, either in inch or metric sizes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back