13 tpi

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Messing around playing with the threading going through different sizes I was looking at the 1/2" 13 tpi. My 1228 has 11, 12, 14, so what is the work around? I guess I do not have the right search words...

Do you have a change gear set for your lathe? The manual should show you the necessary combination of gears to get 13 tpi.

Never mind, it was all by it's self on a single line past the normal tpi's, and the metrics, in between the inch per rev for facing, turning charts. Good Lord you have to change gears for this one thread...

Last edited:
I do.

My Emco lathe can cut a huge number of threads, including Diametral and Modular pitches so I don't look at it as a hassle; it is an impressive capability in my point of view.

I still have to figure out the schematics of what gear to change.... :rolleyes:

:p Dave

Last edited:
I'm thinking of converting my Mini-Lathe into one with an Electronic Lead Screw to avoid the gear changing hassles. I'm wanted to convert my mill to CNC first to help make the parts and now I'm done with that.

Is there one that does not have to use a VFD?

The ELS replaces the gear train with a shaft encoder to detect the position of the main spindle and a stepper motor to drive the lead screw. The lathe is still powered as it was before conversion.

To get a feel for this, check out this series on YouTube by Clough42. This is path I'm thinking of taking.

Is there one that does not have to use a VFD?
My G0602 doesn't have a VFD and I installed a ELS based on Clough42's design. No more gears and inch and metric threads, left and right hand threads, and feeds left and right drom .001"/rev. to .040" all at the push of a few buttons.

My Emco lathe can cut a huge number of threads, including Diametral and Modular pitches so I don't look at it as a hassle; it is an impressive capability in my point of view.

Mikey, I have always wondered this, what does a machinist use a Diametral or Modular pitch "thread" for? Only thing I came up with was making gear cutting hobs but I don't even know if that is correct.

Back